Store With Nice Inventory/East Coast USA

5:01 p.m. on December 26, 2013 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Happy Holidays, All!

Every once in a great while, I feel the need to go to a camping store and check out all of the stuff. There aren't any real good options here in the Baltimore area... I wanted to know if any of you have any treasures near you on the East Coast. REI in Manhattan? Awesome mom & pop shop in New England?

I am not looking to purchase any gear really, but I'd like to visit a nice store! Thank you for your time!!!

5:54 p.m. on December 26, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
406 forum posts

We took a drive down to the Kittery Trading Post a few weeks back.  I'd ordered from them online a few times but I was shopping for insulated boots so wanted to try them on.  We had The Tot with us so we didn't explore the whole place but it seemed to be quite the attraction. It was packed with customers and at least in the boot area service was hard to come by. They did seem to have lots of inventory on display so a good place to get to touch things you've seen online.

Most of a day's drive for you, but if you're ever headed up I95 for other pleasures it is pretty easy to find.

11:52 a.m. on December 28, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

the entry that is pinned to the top of the gear selection forum has a lot of people's choices of favored gear stores.

i'm in the DC area, we're primarily limited to REI (college park might be closest to you) and Hudson Trail Outfitters, a local chain.  decent choices.  i think eastern mountain sports still has a store in Annapolis - they were acquired in the last year or two, not sure how their stores look these days.  

you tend to find great independent stores near good hiking.  in/around Lake Placid, NY (the Mountaineer in Keene Valley) and North Conway, NH (International Mountaineering Equipment) for example.  I'm sure there are others.  

12:29 p.m. on December 28, 2013 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Thank you for your input, I will be up around the New England area hopefully by springtime. I will be in NYC in the next couple of days, and will post my recon when I visit the REI in Soho/Manhattan. I may just have to wait & keep my salivary glands on idle until I visit my friend in Seattle in the next year or two. 

Andrew, yeah I have checked out the local REI stores & Hudson Trail, I will see what EMS is doing these days. 

Thank you again!

3:37 p.m. on December 28, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Their are several REI stores around the NE, but all of them have just about the same stuff. Then there is Campmor in NJ , and Gander Mountain i believe in NY and down your way in MD.

5:49 p.m. on December 28, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

The EMS headquarters is in Peterborough, NH. They have some good sales there, also low prices on discontinued brands, and occasionally a tent sale outside. NH has no sales tax. There are also LL Bean outlets in NH. For boots, Limmer's is in N. Conway.

7:40 a.m. on December 29, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

If you go to the Campmor, there is an EMS right next to it, and they are just outside of NYC if you are driving.  You can't get to them easily though if you are not driving.  (FYI, not open on Sunday. )

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply