About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Whats with the Orangutang Sleeves on Clothing.

2:00 p.m. on January 7, 2014 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Whats with the Orangutang Sleeves on Clothing anymore? This has been driving me nuts for several years now. I'm getting sick & tired of long sleeve shirts & jackets that fit perfect in the torso but have sleeves that are practically down to my knees. Is it just me or has this been a notable trend in the industry lately? Is there some kind of odd reason that makes this in some way practical & I just haven't figured it out yet or are these companies using Lyrch from the Adams Family or maybe Gumby for their sizing models now?

Columbia, regardless of all the other ways they've gone down hill over the past several years, is especially guilty of this. I have a few pieces, the last ones, that if I hung my arms at my side without pulling up the sleeves, I can have my hand fully extended and still completely inside the sleeve.

It was bad enough when the torso fit girth wise but still hung like a dress, as if the designers have no idea at all of the concept that not everyone with a 44" chest is 6'5" tall, but now the torso is the right length, sometimes, and I still have better than five inches of extra material in the sleeves.

Ok, rant over, I'm done.

2:49 p.m. on January 7, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,269 reviewer rep
317 forum posts

Longer sleeves are considered a plus by most folks...as it allows you to keep hands warmer and drier with increased UV protection...thereby increasing the versatility of the garment (for the same reason a lot of high-end manufacturers include thumb-loops in the tops)!

When not needed you can always cuff your jacket sleeves back once or twice out of the way...and generally speaking...you can pull the sleeves of shirts up over the elbows....doing this means you have extra protection when you need it...at very little additional cost...and no chance of losing things like arm-warmers and gloves (for the same reason I always choose jackets with a hood if given a choice).

4:36 p.m. on January 7, 2014 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Being a larger than average person myself, I like the longer sleeves. 

4:59 p.m. on January 7, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,684 reviewer rep
1,278 forum posts

Items typically fit me pretty well. I havn't noticed this being an issue. Guessing you just have little T-rex arms? haha =P j/k

Out of curiosity what size are you wearing typically? I am 5'11 and about 200-210 and wear an XL due to wider shoulders, but find that the sleeves fit well on all of my clothing. I do like an extra couple inches typically just so there is better range of motion and its not too tight when reaching etc. No where close to 5 inches of excess though.

Sounds like you have a wider chest, but shorter than average arms. In which case, there isnt much you can do unless an item is sold in a short configuration, or you get an item altered.

12:56 a.m. on January 8, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

At 6'7" I would love a L-o-n-g sleeve anything. My arm/sleeve length is 39 inches. But 99.999% of the clothes I buy (even from Big And Tall Men's shop) are 3 inches too short. Even the hair on my wrists from the end of all my long sleeve shirts has grown thicker over the last 40 years with my short-long sleeve clothes.

2:28 a.m. on January 8, 2014 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

I prefer longer sleeves too. I have a nice fleece jacket to wear around town, but wish the sleeves were about 2 inches longer. Longer sleeves on outerwear are a must for me. I really don't want short sleeves on a parka or ski jacket.

8:22 a.m. on January 8, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,254 forum posts

i generally like to see a little extra length on sleeves - better too long than too short.  

for anything that is at least partially intended for sports where you have to reach for things (ice/rock climbing are the best examples, but even hiking trails where you have to scramble or nordic skiing), sleeves that are longer or have wider armholes for more range of motion would be a smart design move.  the longer sleeves can help keep the shirt or jacket from riding up and exposing your lower torso.

i have noticed a few more companies using thumb loops or holes on base layers or lighter mid layers.  another good design move, helps you put on the outer layers without the ends of your sleeves bunching.  

9:22 a.m. on January 8, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

Andrew said ( I have noticed a few more companies using thumb loops), I used to cut and sew around a thumb hole in sleeves so my sleeves would stay around my wrist on some of my clothes. I bicycle tour a lot and keeping my sleeve down over my wrist is nice when only wearing standard cycling finger less gloves on cooler days or mornings.

10:22 a.m. on January 8, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

I have an ape ratio of +3, meaning that my arm-span is 3 inches longer than my height so I actually appreciate the extra length.  Also it keeps the hem of the jacket from riding up when I reach so I see it as a plus. 

You can push up extra long sleeves and be ok.  Sleeves too short and you are out of luck!

Rambler, the T-rex thing was too funny!

10:25 a.m. on January 8, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
474 forum posts

That's funny.......I have the opposite problem.  I am constantly in a struggle finding the right sleeve length because I have somewhat longer arms for my height of 6ft than the average 6ft male.  I most always could where a LARGE size in shirts/jackets but, because of my longer arms, I have to move up to the X LARGE size.  So with that comes a new dilemma.  I may have solved the problem for the sleeve length but then there is the added material around the torso that I don't need.  If I try a LARGE/TALL option, which is very difficult to find, I end up with correct sleeves, but an extended length torso which makes it look like I have a dress on!!!

7:47 p.m. on January 8, 2014 (EST)
3,723 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Like Jeff, I have my own set of monkey arms. The plus side is I can scratch every part of my back!

With most shirts, if I can't get a Large-Tall, then I'm dealing with sleeves that are too short. I nearly always roll or push up my sleeves. So I'm happy with monkey sleeves on my shirts!

5:14 p.m. on January 9, 2014 (EST)
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

I read once that long arms are a sign of too much forced child labor.  I must speak to my parents...

2:55 a.m. on January 12, 2014 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I'm confused by all the responses favoring this obvious trend.

The longish sleeves on nearly everything these days drives me crazy. As with you, I find many items that fit well in the chest and waist but have sleeves that extend to my fingertips. This is not acceptable.

My suggestion is moving to military style garments. I used to have two sets of clothes: one for work and one for play. Increasingly my work clothes are becoming my play clothes. Tactical clothing tends to fit "tighter" on the active body.

5:40 a.m. on January 12, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

Austin said: I used to have two sets of clothes: one for work and one for play. Increasingly my work clothes are becoming my play clothes.

Reminds me of when I was in the Navy in 1975-76 our dress/work clothes were a light blue denim shirt and Levi style pants. When they became  too worn or washed too many times, we could not wear them on board ship even just to work in, so they became our casual off ship clothes. By the time I was out of the Navy in August 1976 I had 15 pairs of denim pants and shirts as the average time either lasted for military grade was 3 months, but they lasted longer as play/off duty clothes. Even in military denim I could never get them long enough as I have a 38 inseam and the average Levi's or military denims were 34. Everyone would always say "Whens the flood?" looking at how short they were above my ankles. And at inspections every morning the officer's would tell me to pull my sleeves down, and I would always say I couldn't because they were only 36" long as I need a 39" sleeve.

I was so used to wearing denim in the 70's,80's and 90's it was not until the 21st century before I stopped wearing them and went to nylon pants,shorts and shirts. I don't like the heavy denim anymore as they pack to big. 

2:01 p.m. on January 14, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,918 forum posts

I have to admit that I'm yet another who prefers longer arm sleeves (sorry, JerseyWreckDiver).

My arms are pretty average in length, so I shouldn't need anything extra, but it's one of my pet peeves when sleeves shrink or aren't quite long enough. Seriously, an inch or so shorter and I will be annoyed, and I consider myself pretty easygoing.

As for thumbholes, they can be nice to have. I sometimes use them. But they're definitely not mandatory or anything. Just make sure the sleeves don't ride up and I'll be happy.

April 25, 2014
Quick Reply