Compact and Lite Fishing Gear

4:34 p.m. on January 13, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some fishing equipment that doesn't weigh a whole lot and is pretty compact for backpacking. I am not a big fly fishing fan so looking for a casting reel as well. Looking for gear that is strong enough for trout nothing to big. 

I have seen some telescopic poles and ultralight stuff (as in the fishing gear weight not the physical weight of the object) and was wondering if anyone has done any of this and had any experience or brands they would suggest. 

Thanks!

5:20 p.m. on January 13, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

For non flyfishing related pursuits i use an Emmrod. Absolutely love it. Works for anything from pan fish to salmon. You can get a few different versions of it depending on how many coils you choose. Best part is its virtually impossible to break, so makes a perfect pack rod. I have an Emmrod packer, its either 5 or 6 coils, dont remember off the top of my head. Weighs 8oz not including the reel. Have had it for close to 4 or 5 years now with no complaints.

11:14 a.m. on January 14, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Thanks, those are pretty amazing looking actually some of the fish they have caught on those. Going to dabble around and read some reviews on them and they definitely look a lot more sturdy than the telescopic

1:36 p.m. on January 14, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Sturdy is an understatement, i think "for all practical purposes its indestructible" is better suited lol. I usually keep mine assembled and strapped to the outside of my pack, though i will remove the reel if i will be doing alot of bushwhacking or scrambling. I have zero worries of it getting damaged.

Some of the telescoping rods out there are pretty nice too though. I keep my emmrod under the seat of my truck when not backpacking with it. Its a fully capable, tough as nails, and very compact rod. I like taking it out with me in a canoe or kayak also.

It does not feel or cast the same way as a regular conventional rod though. Takes a little getting used to, but once you do its a real joy to have along. Its more getting used to when/how to release the reel more than anything due to its short length.

If you want to see any pictures or video of it let me know.

6:30 a.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
332 forum posts

Ken,

Will you please do a review of your Emmrod Packer sometime? I just checked it out online. It looks really cool, but very different from any fishing rod I've ever seen. I go backpacking on rivers all the time, so this sounds like it would be great for me!

Thanks!

10:38 a.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

No problem Ashleigh. Will try and get one up within the near future.

11:59 a.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

If you happen to have any closer up pictures / videos of using it that would be great. I am curious as to how casting etc. The guys on the website make it look the exact same but that's their job to do that.

Thanks!

2:15 p.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I took a short video of just the rod itself, trying to get it to upload but my phone isnt playing nice at the moment. I do not have any pics or video of me actually fishing it currently.

For all practical purposes it casts and fishes the same as any other rod and reel. The only difference is when you release the bail or reel. Its a very minor change, and most people I have let use my rod to try it out get the hang of it within a couple of casts. Its just a matter of waiting a brief moment longer before releasing it. If you release too early the spring kinda sends the line straight up instead of out in front of you.

3:12 p.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Heres a brief review for you. Hope it helps some.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/emmrod-packer/review/30399/

6:29 a.m. on January 16, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
332 forum posts

Thanks so much! I can't wait to try one out!

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply