leg gaiters

7:34 a.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
276 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

OK im in a puzzle about leg gaiters if any body could help  the problem is the zip up front with the Velcro flap  should the flap be facing inwards towards the other leg or facing outwards away from the leg . forgive me if this sounds a little crazy but i would really like to know

8:51 a.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,442 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

Not crazy in the least!

I wear mine with the velcro facing in, so they are less likely to snag on brush.

This might help. All the gaiters I've own, have their logo on the outside of your leg...they want other hikers to see their logo prominently displayed. I don't know if that's true with all manufacturers, but I'm willing to bet it's true for most.

Never be afraid to ask! It's how we learn.

12:37 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
276 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Thanks goose !.

12:45 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

Most gaiters have a little hook on the front bottom where they hook over your boots lower laces to hold them down. That would be the front. On mine the zipper and velcro is on the back of them with a instep strap beneath. Mine are Outdoor Research.

1:42 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

An easy way to tell is which side the instep buckle is. It should be on the outside. That way it avoids snagging on the other buckle.

2:05 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
276 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Thanks I'm never satisfied the way my gaiters are fastened also is it worth buying breathable fabric gaiters as they are always Being washed what do you think?

2:11 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

John,

I have the heavy canvas OR gaiters for deep snow and thick bush-whacking and I rarely wash them; I will knock any mud or big chunks off of them but that's it. (cause in my mind what's the point?)

I use Dirty Girl gaiters most often because I'm in low-top shoes 99% of the time. I like them a lot and they are as you describe: breathable fabric.

2:33 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

I think that gaiters should always be breathable. I have a pair of canvas gaiters by Millet, but rarely use them. My go to gaiters are a pair of Chouinard Gaiters that at least when new, were Goretex. They have never been washed and still function well for BC skiing.

3:20 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,442 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

I wear canvas gaiters in cold weather & during the spring when trails are extra muddy. I wear shorter, breathable gaiters when it's warm.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply