ziploc?

7:06 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

to Ziploc or to use a generic equivalent?

anyone?

do the no-namers withstand multiple uses and the thrashing 'round in a pack?

gracias, amigos! :)

7:22 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

No namers like? Hefty? I was just using the name of the brand that started them all, like calling Denim's Levi's.

I use the alligator freezer bag because they are tougher than standard anything food bags. 

I also double bag things that have sharp edges like pasta, inverting one inside the other.

7:28 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
459 forum posts

I use generic for my smallest zips but name brand freezer bags for food. A little sunscreen leak isn't a big deal but losing a dinner might make me cry.

8:31 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
431 forum posts

I've been known to cook inside a Ziploc freezer-bag from time to time...so for that purpose I stick with a brand I trust. For everything else I go with cheapest brand "storage" bags...usually snack-size...and for quart or larger size bags I always opt for the plastic zipper thing. My favorite bags are the tiny Ziploc type bags you can find in the jewelry and bead section(s) of stores like Walmart and Hobby-Lobby...they help keep small items organized...require almost no space...and 25-50 bags (forever supply) usually cost 1.00 or less.

11:53 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Call me crazy, but I'd swear the Hefty brand bags (with the sliding zip) are more robust than Ziploc...whose bags I don't think are much different from the generic brand, anymore.

6:01 a.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

Hefty is the brand I use most often. I use the gallon size bags.

11:00 a.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Except that the zipper mechanism might be proprietary, the thickness of the bag material is sometimes stated on the container.  Since the bags are almost always made from the same chemical the thickness, zipper type and price are probably your best determiner of quality.

Saying that I use generic bags

8:30 p.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
893 forum posts

I use generic.

For cooking, I use mylar zip top bags. 

12:24 a.m. on February 27, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

I have used the same zipper style bags now for 3 years. Some things like store bought pasta tends to pop holes in some so they have to be replaced  every so often. 

Where do you find Mylar zip top bags, GOOSE?

2:06 a.m. on February 27, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
431 forum posts
December 22, 2014
Quick Reply