Kinesiology Tape

10:41 a.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

I've never tried K-tape and it has the scent of snake oil. Has anyone here used it?

http://kitup.military.com/2014/02/combat-ready-tape-kinesiology.html#more-27709

https://www.kttape.com/

12:56 p.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

I train with some very talented distance runners,  and those who use it, swear by it.

You do need to have a professional trainer or physical therapist show you how to cut and apply it properly.

4:34 p.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
431 forum posts

Overmywaders...I am skeptical of the explanations for how and why it works...I think experts should stop trying to explain it until they have more evidence (they are basically just guessing at how it works based on what seems more plausible to them). If you want to try and alleviate pain and increase recovery I would say give it a try...it has been around a long time...and lots of athletes use it regularly (which I find to be some of the most reliable kinds of evidence). Maybe it is all psychological...but if I perceive less pain and perceive a faster recovery...what difference does it make...there is no way to know if something is more than perception...just part of the human condition:-)

4:53 p.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
459 forum posts

There is almost no actual research on it despite it being over 30 years old now.  The little research that was done was basically inconclusive as far as benefits.

I'm pretty sure it works as well as you believe it does much like whiskey and religion ;)

8:57 p.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

Seems that this has become a popular topic this month..Outside ran an article not to long ago about debunking as well as articles posted on Yahoo this month..I was interest so I did some research and hit some Journals..The only thing it can slightly claim is minor relief in the case study's done and like Joseph stated Phycological factor(placebo). For the international athletes 2  Lance Armstrong said it helped to win 7 Tour Defrance..We know how they ended up(blood dopping and ENC) Then Kerri Welsh Olympic Volleyball player who supposedly by her team mates interviews believe she was paid to endorse it..By the way she's now spokesperson for the competitor..MPO No scientic studies to conclude it does much of anything..Its snakeoil.

1:01 p.m. on March 6, 2014 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

It works if appled properly.

Even an ACE bandage is worthless if it is appled to your head.

Look at some photos of the elite runners in marathons. You'll see that tape everywhere.

Last year I had it applied for the Boston Marathon and it helped me run thru a quad strain.

I'll get it appled for this years Boston Marathon too.

1:21 p.m. on March 6, 2014 (EST)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

My daughter's Physical therapist says its just a magic feather.  Saying that, you must remember that the magic feather did help Dumbo out a lot so never underestimate the placebo effect!

2:08 p.m. on March 6, 2014 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

yes and that placebo effect certainly is popular with the Olympic and professional athletes.

Odds are that your daughters PT is not a Certified Kinesio Taping Practitioner and has no personal experience with it.

For every PT that doesn't like it (and most likely never tried it), you can find one that recommends it.

I've tried it, I like it. It is more comfortable than a neoprene support.

4:15 p.m. on March 6, 2014 (EST)
2,054 reviewer rep
459 forum posts

Ed G said:

It works if appled properly.

That is what I always used to say about whiskey, but there is just no convincing some folks.

5:35 a.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

LOL!

And tequila - that's my drink of choice for the back country.

Oh well, it's all kumbaya  :)

4:54 p.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

That's the funny part Ed, even though her PT said its a placebo, he still used it. 

As far as pro athletes using snake oil; Sasha DiGliulian endorses Pure Strength magic bracelets so maybe they do sometimes.  http://www.endevr.com/sasha

As I recall Sasha was pretty good climber before the endorsement. 

If insurance hadn't covered the tape 100% I might care more. 

7:16 a.m. on March 8, 2014 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

Oh c'mon -  huge difference between a product that replaces a brace and/or support and a magic bracelet.   LOL.

Tell ya what - when I'm at the Boston Marathon Expo next month, on your behalf, I'll tell those folks lined up to have the tape applied...that a couple weekend warrior backpackers insist we are wasting our time.

And the wwb's are experts cause they read it on the internet.

7:46 a.m. on March 8, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I use it but if you do, there are brands taht suck! I bought some Ktape that would not even stick. I do crossfit, you see people using it there and Zach Forrest (former Navy Seal, CrossFIt coach and owner of Max Effort, Nationally ranked Crossfit Athlete) uses it and it does help him. I have known zach since before he went into the Navy. Not a gimmick kinda guy at all.

If you are doing intense exercize like you do in crossfit, stabalizing a slightly weakened muscle can mean the difference between getting your reps and not. I don't think it will help any sort of gross injury. But when I had my shoulder issues before surgery it did help me.

8:23 a.m. on March 8, 2014 (EST)
2,054 reviewer rep
459 forum posts

Ed G said:

Oh c'mon -  huge difference between a product that replaces a brace and/or support and a magic bracelet.   LOL.

Tell ya what - when I'm at the Boston Marathon Expo next month, on your behalf, I'll tell those folks lined up to have the tape applied...that a couple weekend warrior backpackers insist we are wasting our time.

And the wwb's are experts cause they read it on the internet.

This post tells me a lot about you Ed.  Not good things mind you, but enough to judge you as someone not worth knowing or listening to.  Enjoy your tape.

12:27 p.m. on March 9, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

"This post tells me a lot about you Ed.  Not good things mind you, but enough to judge you as someone not worth knowing or listening to.  Enjoy your tape."

Ok fine.  I wasn't exactly planning on having you over for dinner on Friday night. 

giftogab, I agree. Like any any other product,  there are the real deals and there are knock-off's that aren't worth a penny.

Congrats on sticking with the crossfit. There is one located next to one of the trails I run on. That's a heck of a workout you guys go thru!  Yesterday I saw about 8 women humping some pretty heavy barbells up and down a steep dirt path...the barbells were on their shoulders!

11:12 p.m. on March 13, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

It's crazy how much it is used in professional tennis.  I love tennis, but it is a very conformist culture.  I sense the tape is highly psychological, and that sheep mentality causes me to be skeptical of any trends I see in sports.  It wouldn't surprise me to find out this tape is nothing more than blind tradition...or like those silly-ass necklaces baseball players now wear as if their talent and hard work depended upon them.

11:23 p.m. on March 13, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

My daughter's Physical therapist says its just a magic feather.  Saying that, you must remember that the magic feather did help Dumbo out a lot so never underestimate the placebo effect!

I know many people who would read this would be quick to take offense to it, but we should acknowledge how much of sports, and life, are psychological.  The mind is no small game, so if the tape does nothing else but supply confidence in the mind, then it is very much significant.  The physicalness can be snakeoil until the cows come home, but if it is successful in the psychological, then it is indeed useful.  Again, baseball players with those necklaces.  Hockey players with their rituals and superstitions.  etc etc etc.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply