Looking for reccomdations on backpackigshorts.

1:19 p.m. on March 22, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Been useing Trail running shorts which I like but looking for other options you might be useing...Iam open to suggestions...Also if you know the weight is helpful also..Comfertible and last a long time is in the catergory..I would like to get 2 yrs out of them Hopefully...thanks in advance..

2:59 p.m. on March 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

liner not included

but the patagucci baggies are time-tested, burly, & comfortable!

I used mine for a near 10 years before the seat wore through.

(they were put through their paces times over)

I was tempted to repair but they stunk!!!!! :)

12:05 p.m. on March 23, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Check out Patagonia and Prana. They both offer some of my favorites when it comes to hiking shorts. They both have a comfortable non-baggy fit.

12:14 p.m. on March 23, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
780 forum posts

Denis, after buying a pair of expensive hiking shorts with a liner (they were on clearance), I realized they were simply fancy swim trunks. These days, I often hike in swim trunks. If you pick them up at the end of the year, you can get them at Walmart for $6. I'm telling you the only difference is the price & lack of a web belt.
IMAG0209.jpg

Plus you can get them in wild colors and patterns if you want!

8:56 a.m. on March 30, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Yea board shorts and runner's shorts.  Upside: light weight, quick drying, styling.  Down side: light fabric more susceptible to rock cuts and abrasion,  limited or no pocket storage, no belt loops or fly.

Ed 

11:50 a.m. on March 30, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

I wear running shorts instead of underwear/boxers, then use canvas durable shorts over them. That way I have two pairs of shorts that are wearable together of alone at anytime. I only carry one pair of each on backpacking trip and wash them in a creek as needed.

11:57 a.m. on March 30, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

I forget the name of them but I really like the mountain hardware shorts made out of their "hatdware cloth". this pair is going on 4 years now.

9:00 p.m. on March 30, 2014 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Sport kilts, comfy breezy and less chaffing.

7:51 p.m. on March 31, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
780 forum posts

J Sage, I've considered a kilt, but just can't do it.

6:23 a.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

TheRambler said:

I forget the name of them but I really like the mountain hardware shorts made out of their "hatdware cloth". this pair is going on 4 years now.

I started to look at the Mountain Hardwear line...Found the Reflex 2-1 which is like a runnning short and the Mesa which seems what Iam looking for...Need something with more pockets..

1:37 p.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I like the Prana Zions Stretch shorts.  Longish inseam with spandex nylon weave to permit easy movement.  Breathe well but provide decent coverage.  So far the durability has been good.

DSCF3488.jpg

2:03 p.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

^^^  I second the Prana Zion shorts.  I have a couple pair of the convertible pants and won't wear anything else.  They dry fast, shed light water well, breath well (crotch holes/ventilation/ac),  very comfortable, durable and they don't snag or attract burs.

6:29 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

most of the time, lightweight running shorts.  they dry fast and they are comfortable.  if you expect to see a lot of rocky terrain or grabby off-trail trees and shrubs that can and do shred the lightweights, something along the lines of sturdy nylon board shorts (i happen to like Patagonia) or the North Face cargo shorts i reviewed on this site are probably a better, more durable bet. 

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply