Light Weigh Hiking Shoe

1:59 p.m. on April 25, 2014 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I am looking for a light weight shoe that I can use for day hikes and urban walking.  I currently have a pair of Merrell reflex and for they have been just "ok" .  Any others out there I should consider.  Waterproof would be nice but not a given. 

3:22 p.m. on April 25, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,414 reviewer rep
744 forum posts

Tracker, I'm really digging my Patagonia Drifter AC. Not waterproof, but comfortable shoe.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/patagonia/drifter-ac/?review=31248

4:11 p.m. on April 25, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

My walking shoes are Adidas superstars.  Good support, light weight.  As long as you don't need to look like Joe outdoors, these will do nicely.

Ed

4:42 p.m. on April 25, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
601 reviewer rep
111 forum posts

I recently reviewed my pair of Asolo Sunset shoes.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/sunset/#review31019

I've had these on the trail a far amount (daily hikes exclusively), but also use them regularly for everyday shoes. They aren't the greatest shoe I've ever had, but I've enjoyed wearing them nearly everyday for the last year and a half. These will be approx. 25% lighter than your current Merrell Reflex pair (based on a little quick research). 

If you care to read the review, I'd suggest you note near the end where I discuss Asolo's Shiver line of shoes. 

Best wishes. 

9:09 p.m. on April 25, 2014 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
313 forum posts

I recommend Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTXs or Brooks Cascadia. Light enough for running, but supportive enough for any trail.

10:18 p.m. on April 25, 2014 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Adidas as whomeworry, stated earlier is a solid company. The AX 1 chassis by Adidas outdoors is something to look into. Light boots to water shoes are all built on this platform. Runs wider in the toe box, has reasonable support, and still can pass as stylish in the Western US.

8:01 a.m. on April 26, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Larger toe box is good. I'll check some of these out

12:37 p.m. on April 26, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

+1 for the Cascadia's...I've had two different pairs of Cascadia 5's go thousands of miles. Excellent grip, durable uppers, and a very low weight for what you get. Great with rocks, mud, and tarmac.

Brooks is up to the Cascadia 9's now...not sure about their feature set.

1:09 p.m. on April 27, 2014 (EDT)
5,414 reviewer rep
744 forum posts

I just down graded my review of Merrell's Moab Ventilator lighthiker:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/merrell/moab-ventilator/?review=26535

7:52 p.m. on May 27, 2014 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Ended up going with a pair of Keen Bryce.  So far I am really liking these shoes. First two days I wore them to work and they were instantly comfortable.  I did 12 miles last saturday and in the end my feet were feeling very good with no hot spots or strange rubs spots that often accompany a new pair of shoes.

11:22 a.m. on May 28, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,461 forum posts

tracker12 said:

Ended up going with a pair of Keen Bryce.  So far I am really liking these shoes. First two days I wore them to work and they were instantly comfortable.  I did 12 miles last saturday and in the end my feet were feeling very good with no hot spots or strange rubs spots that often accompany a new pair of shoes.

I didn't see this thread until today and was about to direct you to KEENS! So you got there4 without me! I have only had one bad pair out of over a dozen. And I am sure there was something defective in my pair of Targeah II mids. I am sporting some Gypsum mids for my Peru trek and used Oregon PCT's for Everest.

9:19 a.m. on May 29, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

treksta makes nice shoes, gtx or not, if you don't mind a wider forefoot and relatively un-aggressive tread on the lighter models.  i think they size a hair small so err on the side of the larger shoe.  i'm on my 3d pair of the Evolution (now the Evolution II).  

http://www.trekstausa.com/collection

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply