camera suggestions

7:45 p.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

About six years ago, i entered into my local second hand store.  While waiting for my friend to finish his purchase, i saw a basket of cameras and laying on top was a cannon 7.1 megapixel digital camera.  i asked if it worked, they shrugged. i asked how much, they said " i guess a buck".  I gave my dollar, went home, added batterey and memory card.  until recently my dollar camera has worked perfectly but it finally has died. Now i need a new camera.  Something reliable, trail friendly,  easy to use and preferably under 250 dollars. 

All suggestions are appreciated.

11:50 p.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
553 reviewer rep
108 forum posts

If I were you, my first move would be to walk back into that same thrift shop and see if they have any cameras. Who knows, maybe you'll strike gold a second time. Aside from that, I have no real recommendations, sorry. But from now on I will be looking for cameras when I visit a thrift shop. Thanks for sharing.

11:39 a.m. on May 16, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,073 forum posts

Check out the Canon PowerShot SX500 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera 

Its on sale at $214. 

Amazon has some pretty good deals on Point and Shoot style camera's. This one is small,light and has a 30x power zoom with a 24mm style built in lens. It shots stills as well as video with built in stereo microphones.

See all the info at: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Wide-Angle-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B00908BMVE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400254154&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+digital+camera+is 

Canon-Powershot-SX500.jpg

I have been a dedicated Canon DSLR and 35mm SLR camera user for 35 years. 

12:10 p.m. on May 16, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,341 reviewer rep
75 forum posts

@Chris Utz, @Gary, I actually have that one. I got mine from Best Buy, normally I could find it cheaper, but (if you read the fine print) they price match Amazon (when "fulfilled by Amazon" like the link Gary has).  Since they price matched, their camera bag freebie also came with it. I think it was about $185 in mid summer last year. Keep an eye and look around, it may fluctuate, especially if one retailer has a price match (and if there's a freebie or good warranty it's worth the look and hassle of price match).

It can be bulky for the trail and it's not waterproof or shockproof, so that's something to consider.  Depends on your definition of bulky. It is a small camera though, don't let the picture lead you to believe it's huge. A good verb is "compact." As for batteries, I got an extra on Amazon, works just like the OEM.

Here are some close up pics I've taken and landscape, no photoshop changes, just the camera. Cheers!

STAKES1.png

GNP.jpg

8:28 a.m. on May 17, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

depends on what you are looking for and what kind of photographer you are.  that SX500 is a great camera, i looked at an equivalent a few years go, and there are a number of fine DSLR options out there.  i decided i was more likely to use a smaller, easier-to-carry one, but that's a personal preference.  if  you really just like taking simple point/shoot, there are a lot of smart phones that take outstanding photos - but few that have much zoom capability, which is a crucial feature for me taking outdoor photos.  

the camera i currently reach for to take hiking is a canon sx260hs.  i have had it for a while, so the current model is the sx280.  no idea how the newer one might be different.  why i like it:

-small and light, easy to bring and stow.  fits in many hip belt pockets, disappeared in a pocket sized for a bottle.

-technologically, modern without being cutting edge.  12 megapixel, so decent quality and resolution; 20x optical zoom (there are competitors that are 30x optical); autofocus works and is easy to use, but you can shoot manual too; good battery life.  durable - i have a padded, zippered case that i use most of the time, but it has survived its share of drops in that case.  

-the price is right.  you could go online and buy this most places for $199.  

took the photos below.  

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

Before that, i used a canon powershot s3 - looks a little like the sx500 but is older and lower power - 6 megapixel, 12 optical zoom.  a fine camera that still works, i just don't use it today.  has the advantage of running off AA batteries.  but by comparison, my iPhone 4s arguably shoots higher resolution photos.  the s3 took the photo below.  

-11.jpg

10:13 a.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
589 reviewer rep
97 forum posts

Depends what you really want out of a camera. Photography is one of my hobbies, so the things I look for are a bit different than a casual shooter. Dont look at megapixels or features, but rather look for sensor size. That will have the largest impact on image quality, and ultimately your satisfaction (if image quality is important)..... if you like lots of features and generally like gadgets, then most any camera on the market will deliver these days.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply