Hiking shoe for Big Foot

12:50 a.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

For those of you who have big feet you know my pain when it come to shoe shopping. I'm in need of a hiking shoe that will fit my foot, a size 15. I have higher arches and and tend to pronate. I need them to be breathable, so gore-tex or any waterproofing is out of the question. A higher end midsole that offers great support is also a must. I have tried some of the Lowa hiking shoes that they make for 15, and the felt supportive, but were too narrow and the gore-tex wasn't gonna work out for my summer colorado hikes. I also just returned a pair of keen marshals, because they WERE NOT breathable at all. I like some of the merrells, but my biggest grip on them is the the durability they have provided me thus far. Any suggestions would very helpful. Thanks.

9:20 a.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

Have you looked at White's Hunter boots in a 6" height?

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=449

9:41 a.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

20140424_140223.jpgThis should fit.

Size 877. Red Wing, MN

11:10 a.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,058 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Jeff, I had a feeling I'd see that photo again. :)

Michael John, if you haven't yet, it may be worth your time to read Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse's recent review about his Asolo Piuma boots.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/piuma/#review31298

In the intro to the review Bill says, "A light, flexable, breathable, welcome departure from Asolo's traditional offering, with a wide toe box and well supported heel. May be perfect for light backpacking, dry summer hikes, or long-distance hikes where a quick-drying boot is desired."

I'm not sure Asolo makes these boots in size 15 though. However, I often wear size 14 and when I tried on my Asolo shoes the size 13 was plenty big. I've worn those Asolos for a year-and-a-half now. Maybe worth a shot.  Good luck!

9:06 p.m. on May 25, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,544 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

the red wing photo is funny, but i would try the US manufacturers that supply the US Military.  You're more likely to find variety in the larger sizes.  for example, Danner makes desert boots (lots of nylon, no gtx, so more breathable) that run into size 15-16 range, and you can search their website for boots that size into the 15+ range.  

November 29, 2014
Quick Reply