New Kelly Kettle...

10:43 a.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Hi there Kelly Kettle fans....

I have the stainless steel version, but I will not buy their aluminum unit as I just don't like cooking (or heating water) in aluminum.  Titanium on the other hand is safer and of course much lighter.  Well, a birdie told me that Kelly Kettle is developing a Titanium unit.  Awesome!  

Speaking of Kelly Kettles....how do you clean the mineral deposits out of them?  My SS model has been used a lot and the nature of the design makes it really hard to clean them.  What do you all do to clean yours?

Snakey

(Hiss)

10:55 a.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
874 forum posts

Snakey, while the titanium version will be lighter, there is an issue with something like a Kelly Kettle made from the metal. It dissipates heat rapidly. So it will cool down quickly when you are done, but may actually require more combustibles to heat your liquid. The traditional copper versions work the best.

1:21 p.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,073 forum posts

Why do you need to clean the mineral deposits off the pan? Anyway, in restaurants they use Lime-Away to clean mineral deposits off metal, so I know it will work for you. Just be sure thoroughly wash the lime away off after use and use gloves when using it as it will eat the flesh off your hands as well.

http://www.limeaway.com/ 

12:02 p.m. on May 31, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Erich,

Where do you get a copper one?

7:54 p.m. on May 31, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Thermette in NZ makes a 2.2L , 1.3kg , copper version but I have never seen a copper Kelly Kettle.

(I have used the tin version of that one)

11:52 a.m. on June 1, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
874 forum posts

Kelly, Sirram and Eydon, I think, as well as Thermette, all made them out of copper originally. Now, only Thermette makes a copper version. It is possible to find Kellys in copper or tin used.

1:17 p.m. on June 1, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

The copper must have been heavier though...right?

7:28 p.m. on June 1, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

The current 2.3 L Thermette (copper and tin) are identical.

The copper version is 40 % heavier.

Having fiddled with tin/aluminium/SS/titanium pots, my results on boiling speed using pots of a similar dimension (base size) had the Ti version beating the others, just .

SS was the slowest.

I would think that is because the Ti pots I used have thinner walls.

They also cool down much faster.

So I would expect the Kelly Ti to be as fast if not faster than the Al version but probably 20% lighter .

lighter because of thinner walls, I am aware that Ti is "heavier" than Al.

11:00 p.m. on June 1, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

BTW, from KK UK (FAQ)

Historically, all Kelly Kettles have been made from Aluminum however, we now supply a full range of high grade Stainless Steel kettles.

3:34 a.m. on June 2, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,279 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

..restaurants.. ..use Lime-Away... ...use gloves when using it as it will eat the flesh off your hands as well.

Vinegar will also descale pots, but takes longer.  No gloves needed:)

Ed

9:22 a.m. on June 2, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Franco said:

BTW, from KK UK (FAQ)

Historically, all Kelly Kettles have been made from Aluminum however, we now supply a full range of high grade Stainless Steel kettles.

I used a SS KK for a cross-country bicycle ride and really liked it.  I could boil water with one big pine cone.

9:42 a.m. on June 2, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Yes vinegar works great.  Since the chemical reaction happens faster under heat, simmer the vinegar on low heat for faster results.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply