Trail racing shoe help.

11:27 a.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm training for my first trail race here in my home state of Maryland,and need advice on what trail running shoe to purchase, I have a pretty wide foot but not to wide.the terrain i run here in Maryland would be considered single track and pretty groomed, I love solomon shoes but don't know how narrow the are in the mid foot, I'm looking for a well constructed, mid weight, somewhat breathable, great cushioned sole trail running show that's not barrow in the mid foot, solomon or any other shoe rec is helpful, I would like a great recommendation as well as other companies, thnka and enjoy!

12:44 p.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
592 forum posts

I've heard Inov8 makes great trail runners. What about the "usual suspects" New Balance, Nike, Adidas, Asics, Rebocks, etc?

4:10 p.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,776 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Angus,

I have the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX trail runners. I've had them for 5 years now and I can't let myself throw them away because they are still so comfortable and supportive (the grip has obviously worn down by now). I find them to be rather wide and actually a little bit long. They are not very breathable because they have a Gore-Tex liner, but you can get them without the Gore-Tex.

I also recommend Brooks Cascadias. My husband has them and claims that they are the most comfortable pair of shoes he has ever worn. They are very well-made.

I highly advise that you try on (and maybe even get fitted if possible) whichever shoes you are looking at before buying them.  

Good luck!

4:18 p.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,378 reviewer rep
631 forum posts

Im currently testing the exact shoe you just described. Look up Vasque Shapeshifter, I'll be doing a full review in the near future but to summarize its a highly cushioned shoe, wide fit and mediocre breathability (no goretex but the amount of foam limits the breathability).

5:15 p.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,700 reviewer rep
125 forum posts

I'd throw Vasque Mindbenders into the mix too.  I currently have New Balance MT610v2.  Tried them on in the store and bought online.  I have a flat to regular arch and my foot is wider toward the front (toe box).  These fit great, have enough support for me, and also breath well (if they get wet on the trail, they'll dry out quickly).

They have nice grip/bit, but still plenty of surface area directly in contact with the ground.  Cheers!

7:20 a.m. on May 31, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
110 forum posts

echo innov8!

also, the now extinct montrail hurricane ridge

check ebay--if you can score a pair by happenstance....

killer traction, toe bumpers, & lightweight

I used them on my thru & much appreciated the sturdiness. :)

December 27, 2014
Quick Reply