??HOT TENTS??

1:42 p.m. on June 28, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Hey all...

I saw this neat stove for inside a tent, called the TiGoat which weighs just over a pound.  Now I understand that most of you are backpackers and would never carry something like this, but there must be a few of you that have.  

Question is, you need a special tent made of canvas...right?  I know that all tents are flammable, but if you have a large enough tent and use a stove pipe jack, can you use one in any tent?

Snakey

hiss 

11:50 p.m. on June 28, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

You can, indeed, use these stoves with any nylon/polyester tent, provided you sew in a stove jack and make sure the stove/chimney is far enough away from the body of the tent. You'll notice TiGoat sells their Vertex tents with said stove jack, and these tents are constructed of regular old sil-nylon.

Check out Rutalocura.com and Seekoutside.com for more cool tents/stoves...

I've got a sweet little stove made out of an old steel ammo can, and wouldn't hesitate to use it in my Walrus Zia if I had the requisite stove jack sewn in.

12:18 a.m. on June 29, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Thanks....should I coat the tent with some type of fire retardant?  

9:14 a.m. on June 29, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

For certain types of trips it would change everything.

8:31 p.m. on June 29, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

@ Snakey: I don't know if you should; I wouldn't. I'd just make sure the fire box is something like 3-4 feet from the tent walls...this necessitates a fairly large tent.

For a smaller tent, look at a W.T. Kirkman Oil Lantern, or a Uco Candle Lantern...

9:45 a.m. on June 30, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

What kind of stove are you talking about Snakey? Is it a gas powered one? The TiGoat? Okay I found a picture. Guess its a wood stove.

TiGoat-stove.jpg

Except for inclimate weather I would never cook in my tent. My MSR stove the Pocket Rocket weighs less than a pound including the 4-8 oz fuel canister. 

10:47 a.m. on June 30, 2014 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

More for very long camping, and the tent is a teepee 4 person that I can stand up in, so a stove like the TiGoat would make a lot of difference.  Just a thought right now.

6:42 p.m. on June 30, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

At Ruta Locura take a look at the WiFi stove,

I think that it is a good mix between the cylinder and box  stoves .

6:47 a.m. on July 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I have done alot of hot tenting in my day. As already mentioned you can do it in any tent you desire as long as you have the correct stove jack sewn in, and you keep it a safe distance from tent walls.

I would also 2nd keeping the stove 2-3 ft at least from any tent material. I have seen others clip up welders blankets or some kind of blanket around the stove to protect tent walls, but that is probably going to the extreme.

You need to size your stove to the tent, its not a one size fits all. Because you really do need a 2-3 foot radius around the stove. A larger stove is going to require like an 8 man tent at least, a small personal stove can be used in a 1 or 2 person tent (picture a coffee can on its side, about that size).

I recommend checking out kifaru also, they make awesome stoves and shelters to go with them.

Lastly, Tarps work GREAT for hot camping. With my new found experiences from this past winter, i would have to say I would use a tarp.

8:39 a.m. on July 2, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I rarely camp in the cold winter time as I am usually in southwestern Arizona in the colder months. I just like a warm sleeping bag to keep me toasty. Up here in Jackson Hole it is cold first thing in the morning tho. I have used my MSR stove or a lantern to warm my tent sometimes before I get up.

8:48 a.m. on July 3, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

I spent a summer in the woods once near Mt Rainier. We would build a fire in the stove about half the mornings.

For fall hunting, the high mountains, and the North country, the set-up you described would be really comfortable. It is hard for people to imagine what a warm and dry tent feels like after a day in the snow or cold rain. You get really warm and you can always dry out your clothes and bedding. I have seen them used on trips to Alaska on TV.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply