Boots

10:40 p.m. on July 13, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I'm a newbie to Mountain climbing, and will be going to Chamonix, over the next two years with an Adventure group. I'm ready to purchase a Boot, any suggestions? Are their any boots like the Arcteryx Procline I like the ski looking boot they look cool.

7:19 p.m. on July 16, 2017 (EDT)
836 reviewer rep
139 forum posts

As someone who was in your situation just a couple weeks ago, my advice would be to go to a mountaineering/expedition outfitter and talk with them. Online research can help narrow things down, i.e., do you need a double boot, insulated or uninsulated leather, etc, but the pros at the outfitter will know all that based on the info you give them. Plus they'll likely have a good idea what will fit you based on what you're wearing into the store. Even then you'll want to make absolutely sure you can return/exchange them if they don't fit after a few training/breaking-in hikes. That rules out at least one store, which I'm not going to mention by name. 

3:48 a.m. on July 18, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,768 forum posts

You need to be more specific, regarding the nature of activities while there.

You can walk to the tops of many of the alps with no special footwear requirements, while others may go XC and need footware with some support, while still others desire to indulge in technical rope climbs using rock slippers.

Whatever you do, if the footwear is for meeting a performance requirement, the stylish looks should be an afterthought.  You will not look cool holding up the group because your feet are beat up or blistered.

Ed

3:22 p.m. on July 18, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,260 reviewer rep
5,952 forum posts

Calvin,

You say you are going with "an Adventure group". Which of the dozens of "Adventure" groups is it? Where are they based? What are their qualifications and registrations?

A good, experienced, well-trained Adventure group will provide you with a list of the gear needed.

I have been to Cham many times since my first visit there in 1964. As Ed said, there are many adventure activities in and around Cham that require nothing more than a pair of trail shoes. On the other hand, some of the routes require training and experience with everything from rock climbing to challenging ice climbs. The "Haute Route" often includes skiing at a very high level, depending on the time of year.

Your trek might use refuges (a "refuge" is anything from a fancy hotel to a tiny hut which is a basic shelter). Or you might have to bivouac (which is just sheltering in place.

When I first went to Cham, the town was "a quaint little French village". My most recent visit (2 or 3 years ago) found me in a large crowded city, filled with tourists from all over the world. In '64, we stayed in an unofficial campground called the Biolay. That plot of ground is now a small "Disney World" (Not  run by any large amusement park company, but with roller coasters and such).

As Ed said, it is very hard to give you recommendations without more detail on the kind of activities that the "Adventure group" is taking you on.

This photo was Tom, Ivan, and my campsite in the Biolay:

_D8H0023a.jpg
This is me on a climb in the Cham area.
_D8H0034.jpg
Notice the boots.

Many of the trails are well-marked, with trail shoes (basically tennis shoes) being just fine.

DSCN0280.jpg
If you provide more detail about what your "Adventure group" has planned, we can provide some useful information.

July 23, 2017
Quick Reply