Survival hiking stick, please comment

5:26 p.m. on September 9, 2017 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,153 forum posts
7:58 p.m. on September 9, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,875 forum posts

Everyone probably knows my advocacy of walking staffs... But this product is totally useless!  If you had to choose between this staff and most any trekking poles, go with the trekking poles!

You don't want to be carrying any more weight in you hands than absolutely necessary.  These staffs are fairly large diameter wood poles - far from the lightest materials or design one would consider.  Even more silly is adding all of the so called survival accessories to the stick.  They add more weight to the staff, weight which is much more efficiently carried in your pack.  The more massive your staff (or trekking poles are) the less nimble they are to manipulate.

The concept of a carry-all survival staff is lost the moment you need to start using the stuff.  Much of it is secured to the staff by the cordage.  Where do you put these items when the cord is unwound to access other items or to use the cord?  perhaps these bits and pieces should be packed in this alternative storage location in the first place. 

Then there is the notion of how useful the various items are.  Six feet of duct tape isn't going to go very far; likewise for the rather short lengths of cordage and other items.  In fact these staffs as walking sticks are of limited use by design; the grip area is too short, and the rubber tip will wear out in less that 50 miles over a mountain trail.  (I know of the rubber tip lifespan from my own testing.)  But shit howdie!  Dem survival staffs sure do make for a plenty 'nt'rest'n campfire conversation piece.  Face it, this is a lifestyle statement item, not a piece of equipment worthy of the BC, like those lengths of cords woven into pricey survival bracelets.  Note the "survival" dog whistle terminology used in these descriptions.  Don't forgit to git some cami colored TP while yer at it.  I suppose the inventor needed something to put in the gun rack of his 4wd pick up, now that ostentatious displaying of one's arsenal in such manner results in getting your guns stolen while you're having chicken and waffles in the diner. 

Ed  

3:32 p.m. on September 11, 2017 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,153 forum posts

If I want a hiking stick, I find one outdoors, but rarely use them except for steep up and down trails and crossing streams

4:08 p.m. on September 11, 2017 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
234 forum posts

I once fashioned a "survival" hiking staff, re-purposing a hollow aluminum tube with plastic vials which held matches, tinder, etc.  It worked pretty well, probably much better than this arrangement, but still not all that great.

If one wanted to, you could probably rebuild a collapsible hiking staff, especially those with those silly shock springs, and include some survival items.  You never know when you will need a fire.

Of course, you can always lose a hiking staff, so maybe your dentist can come up with some ingenious implants.  "In case you need a fire, bite down hard..."

4:32 p.m. on September 11, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,875 forum posts

Survival dental implants... Genius!  You inspired me to conjure a list of other out of the box solution, but they are too weird to share, even coming from me.

Ed

7:43 a.m. on September 12, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,337 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

but they are too weird to share, even coming from me.

I'm torn between curiosity and fear. Better go with the latter and not ask...

4:53 p.m. on September 13, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,875 forum posts

FlipNC said:

but they are too weird to share, even coming from me.

I'm torn between curiosity and fear. Better go with the latter and not ask...

The least weird is hanging the ten 'nsentials from body piercings.  It goes quickly downhill from there.

Ed

9:16 p.m. on September 13, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

If the dude is still doing these things a couple years from now. Then good for him. If not, proof of concept was proven wrong.

4:19 p.m. on September 14, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,970 reviewer rep
1,620 forum posts

the video lost me at the fanny pack

11:45 a.m. on September 25, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,970 reviewer rep
1,620 forum posts

Just put the work, "survival" in front of any item and it will sell.  The woods are scary.  Giving people something "survival-ish" makes it less so I guess. 

I'm waiting for someone to make a velcro-attached pack that straps to any walking stick to carry small items like matches, a whistle, full-tang bush-craft katana, tent, boots, backpack and troop of heat-stroking boyscouts.  Label it "survival" and it should sell really well. 

November 23, 2017
Quick Reply