Any new winter camping/hiking gear for this year?

8:06 p.m. on November 16, 2017 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
536 forum posts

Seems last year was my big year for new winter gear.

1. LL Bean -20 F. sleeping bag (best winter bag bargain out there)

2. Duluth Trading "dry-on-the-Fly fleece lined nylon cargo pants (warm and tough)

3. MSR Whisperlite Universal 3 fuel stove (inverted canister, gas & kerosene)

Eric B.

8:58 p.m. on November 16, 2017 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

1. WM Cypress bag. 

2. NEMO Sonic 0F bag.

3. ExPed DownMat 9.

4. MSR Whisperlite.

5. The hooded down jacket I plan on buying within the next few days.

6. Any clothing I may need to replace due to continued weight loss. 

10:33 p.m. on November 16, 2017 (EST)
5,491 reviewer rep
2,017 forum posts

1 purchase: a pair of gloves that balance warmth with ability to use fingers. i have a pair of extremely warm mitts (outdoor research alti mitts) and gloves (black diamond guide gloves). i highly recommend both for the coldest weather, but neither is great if you actually need to use your fingers, if it isn't that cold, or if you are hammering your way uphill and generating a lot of moisture. i was deciding between guide gloves from RAB, First Ascent/Eddie Bauer, and Marmot. Marmot won, 23 bucks less than eddie bauer and almost 40 less than Rab. independent of price, i probably would have gone with Rab, but i feel better about spending 65 bucks than over a hundred.  in the spirit of a lighter and more maneuverable glove, i also chose the under-cuff version over the gauntlet. we'll see how they go. 

5:19 p.m. on November 17, 2017 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
536 forum posts

If you have not already purchased you hooded down parka I suggest you look at LL Bean's 850 fill hooded parka. It is called the "Ultralight 850 Stretch Parka". $279.

Two innovations make it a good buy:

1. welded baffles (no sewn-through seams = warmer)

2. Downtek DWR treated down

I'm seriously considering buying this parka for myself.

eric B.

8:31 p.m. on November 17, 2017 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I‘m actually considering an LL Bean jacket, both for their lifetime guarantee and the fact that they’re barely 1/2 away from me so I can actually go try stuff on. The stretch parka looks good, but it seems to be about the same weight as my EMS down jacket and I’m looking for something more heavyweight. I need something to throw on during long breaks, summits, and cold nights & mornings. 

8:46 p.m. on November 17, 2017 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

My latest purchase, I just went to International Mountain Equipment in N. Conway NH for these and to see what they had for down jackets on consignment (nothing I was looking for.)

6:23 p.m. on November 18, 2017 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Well I ended up going with a Patagonia Fitz Roy hooded parka from REI, between the 20% off coupon code and the $100 gift card I remembered I had I ended up getting it for $260. And that’s the last of my gear spending for a long time! LOL

1:43 a.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,967 forum posts

I am re-equipping for ski mountaineering in the Eastern Sierra, having been out of that sport for the prior 20 years, while raising my family.

Items recently acquired
Feathered Friends Volant hooded jacket
Julbo glacier glasses

Items TBD:
Aluminum crampons
Ice axe (prefer longer shafted ~ 70 - 80 cm)
Camp mittens (I'll probably make custom myself)
VB for mummy bag
Telemark skis, boots and climbing skins
Snow pack analysis kit
Avi probes

Any suggestions?

3:16 p.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
5,491 reviewer rep
2,017 forum posts

I would keep it simple with the axe - black diamond raven or raven pro (a little lighter weight shaft, same spike and axe head).

I like the wider mouth on the hydro flask or yeti vacuum bottles than the traditional thermos - less likely to freeze up, and both are very well-insulated (but both lack a coffee cup top).

6:25 p.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
536 forum posts

The Patagucci Fitz Roy parka you got is as good as they come. Good that you used a discount and a gift card. I did that when I got my Osprey EXOS 58 back pack. You then walk out of REI feeling very smart! ;o)

Eric B.

9:29 p.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Thanks, Eric, it was a tossup between that and the Marmot Greenland, and what made me choose the Patagonia was it has 2 mesh pockets inside to the Marmot’s one. And I kind of lied about no more gear purchases, today I was in IME and picked up this. 

I really need to vacuum my mud room floor!

9:07 p.m. on November 20, 2017 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
536 forum posts

Phil, I feel you may be a bit like me when it comes to new gear acquisitions.

MY MOTTO: "I can quit buying backpacking gear anytime I want. I've done it hundreds of times."

BTW, I've been looking very closely at that Fitz Roy parka and it is amazingly well designed. Also it is now on sale at Patagonia for $249. !! It calls to me and I'd get it if only I didn't "need" a Magnetospeed muzzle velocity sensor/readout for reloading and ballistics calculations. (I'm into yet another expensive hobby called long range rifle competition.)

9:46 p.m. on November 20, 2017 (EST)
2,816 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Last winter, with a planned trip to Japan in January, it was new rando skis.

This year, in Tucson, it's a new pair of running shorts :-).

9:55 p.m. on November 20, 2017 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I saw the Patagonia sale, but unfortunately for me it’s only size XS at that price. Too bad, because I like the Cusco Orange color. It would have went great with my sulphur yellow TNF pants LOL. 

7:52 p.m. on December 12, 2017 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
536 forum posts

RATS! You're right, XS only at that price and i need a Large.

5:39 a.m. on December 13, 2017 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I ended up returning the Patagonia because it was just a little too tight for anything but a base layer underneath, and found a new without tags Marmot Greenland parka on eBay for about the same money. It seems like it’ll be warmer than the Fitz Roy, it’s more puffy and has plenty of room for layers underneath. It does only have 1 inside mesh pocket, but what the websites didn’t say was that there are 2 huge Napoleon pockets, one accessible under the storm flap and one on the inside of the parka. So there’s plenty of room to keep gloves warm. Now I’m just hoping I can get up to where I’ll need it at least once this winter!

1:02 p.m. on December 16, 2017 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
3,144 forum posts

I just coninue to revel in the stuff I have had for years. 

In the last five years I have bought some updated stuff. I really like the ULA pack for everything and some new Asolo boots. 

March 24, 2018
Quick Reply