Hydration Pack Newbie

10:56 a.m. on March 7, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have a Camel Back StoAway pack that is insulated for winter use. Will it work well during summer season or should I look for an uninsulated one as well?

2:38 p.m. on March 7, 2006 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

insulated one would be great for summer months. Keep your water somewhat cool.

8:37 p.m. on March 7, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Like Ed said. You can get an ice "cube" tray that makes "cubes" of the right shape to slip easily into the Camelback bladders. Nothing sucks (so to speak) worse than slightly warm, tepid water on a warm or worse, hot, summer day. Last summer at the Boy Scout National Jamboree in Virginia, a number of us on staff would fill our Camelbacks with ice (no water, since it melted pretty rapidly, even in insulated Camelbacks) a couple times a day - heat index was 120-130 on most days and I measured up to 135 on one day. The melting ice was sure nice.

9:05 p.m. on March 13, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I've had good results with my noninsulated hydration pack in summer. I freeze it half full and then top it off with chilled water just before I go out. Keeping it in the freezer between trips also seems to mean that I don't have to clean it as often.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply