New member looking for a really 4 season solo tent.

5:02 p.m. on October 7, 2006 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello all!
I'm new to the forum but many years of hight mountaineering mainly in the Pyrenees. For the people don't know the are along the border between Spain and France and they extend from the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic coast whit a maximum hight of 3.404m (11,168 feet) the Aneto pic.

Well after the presentation I will like to have some opinions.

I had use few tents the last one a Space Explorer from Vaude and now a M25 which is the one I use whit my friend.
I will like to ad to my equipment a 4 season solo tent.

I will like some first hand opinion about your experience whit a really winter solo tents.
Place to use, Norwegian tundra and mountains in winter. Not very high altitude but a lot of snow, low temperature, the days are short and often strong winds.

If have search, read and compared in internet a lot reviews, and opinions but I will like to know also your opinion.

My main selection qualities should be:
A real strong winter solo tent.
Weight.
A avancé were I can cook.
Condensation issue.
Pitching (I like suspended inner tent, but not absolutely necessary)

I have find few interesting tents like:

Akto (some condensation issues)
Exped Vela (really 4 season?)
Bibbler I Tent (heavy. Really two person tent, single wall)
SierraDesigns Solomonte (single wall) some one have used it?
Integral Designs MK 1 Lite ??? someone?
Terra Nova Solar 2 (heavy. Relly two person tent)
Kelty Quartz 1 ???someone?

Please let me know your experience and suggestion whit solo tents (in winter ;)

The winter is getting closer!
BTW Great and very informative forum.
Thanks, Salva

8:19 p.m. on October 7, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts

Salva -

I have used the Bibler Eldorado (slightly larger version of the I-tent) in serious winter weather and high mountains. It is about right for solo use in those conditions and ok for very friendly partners if you have 2. The Integral Designs Mk 1 is very similar to the I-tent, and the Mk 1 Lite is a smaller version - ok for most winter and high mountain use 4-seasons, but it feels small after a couple days sitting out a storm, even with the vestibule. Both Bibler (now sold as Black Diamond) and Integral Designs are excellent quality tents.

I have no experience with the others in full winter storm conditions, either personally or observing other people. In mild conditions, the Sierra Designs seems adequate.

I suggest you give some thought about how you would feel about a very small tent if you had to wait out a storm for more than 3 or 4 days. I have used a bivy sack with a tarp several times. While you can survive reasonably well, it is tiring to be confined to only rolling over lying down, not even being able to sit up. Most 1-person tents feel a bit confined after a few days, if you have to wait for a storm. Being able to sit up helps a lot, and not having to feel closed in by your gear makes a big difference, too.

11:42 p.m. on November 4, 2006 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
102 forum posts

I've been using floorless shaped tarp shelters like Betamid genre for a couple of years and once in pretty good "winter" conditions and have found it pretty satisfactory, especially with plenty of snow banked around edges.

I note that Alpine Club of Canada late winter ski trips in rockies rely to some extent on similar tents. They work good and can be very roomy and light.

They are not nearly as warm as my double-wall North Face StarFire frog, but are nearly as storm0proof and potentially much larger. I want a Golight Hex 3, which is vaguely ten x ten and nearly six feet high at two-plus pounds.

Floorless design has other winter advantages including spills, pee bottle disposal and potential "dig-down" in very deep snow for added headroom and perhaps warmth.

I think for solo "tent" with floor etc., the Black Diamond line of First Light and Light House looks very interesting and expensive. If you're talking about a deadly blizzard, I assmue you need shovel and lots of work, no matter what you do....Take bivvy sack no matter what you buy...

11:08 a.m. on December 4, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

I have the Akto. Very light, easy to pitch, good sized vestibule. I have not tested it in heavy winter conditions, but have spent a few cold rainy nights in it. The tent is very stable in wind and quite roomy. I did have some condensation, but not enough to put me off. The Akto is a high quality shelter, well put together, and I have been very pleased with its performance. I expect it will last me many years.

3:14 a.m. on December 26, 2006 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Also consider the Hilleberg Nallo2. Weigh about 2kg, Has stood up to an insane 130kph wind with driving rain/sleet. Huge vestibule for gear/ cooking/etc. Well vented. Very easy to pitch in heavy gale & rain without wetting the inner.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply