? Smart Wool

2:12 p.m. on October 29, 2006 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Have been looking for some cool/cold weather undergarments. I have a preference for wool and found some Smartwool items on various internet vendor sites. They come in lite and medium weight fabrications. What ideas do the board members have about it or other alternatives, from experience.

9:20 p.m. on October 29, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Smartwool is one of the top companies. If you prefer wool longies (mix with spandex for durability, I believe), you won't go wrong with Smartwool. There are some brands that use exclusively merino wool, which some people think feels better. I have used pretty much only Smartwool socks for a number of years for all my hiking, mountaineering, skiing, and been quite happy with it.

You might consider the newer versions of polyester longies, though. For extended use on high altitude mountaineering expeditions, I find longies such as Patagonia's rather expensive Capilene better than the wool ones (Patagucci also has wool longies, which are excellent). But I find even Campmor's polyester longies to be more than adequate, and a lot less expensive.

I do find the all-synthetic socks to be poor performers after a couple days of wear, even with frequent washing. The Smartwool socks are far far better for the hard use I put them to. Very different matter from long johns.

9:31 p.m. on October 29, 2006 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Does Campmor have a house brand name? I didn't find it when I last looked. Thanx.

9:38 p.m. on October 29, 2006 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Sorry...I mean for underwear.

6:38 p.m. on October 31, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Campmor's house brand is "Campmor". I don't see any long johns on their website under their name right now. They only list Smartwool, and Icebreaker under merino, and Duofold (both the old 2-layer and the newer all-poly), Columbia, Terramar. Hot Chilly's, and an Outdoor Research (OR) "ninja suit" (actually Farmer John style). They have a lot of other clothing still listed with the Campmor brand on it. Somehow I hadn't noticed that they had dropped the longies (maybe just temporarily?)

11:25 p.m. on October 31, 2006 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Thanks Bill. I'll keep an eye for their house brands. A lot of money can be saved that way.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply