Women's Mountaineering Boots????

3:45 p.m. on November 5, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

Im looking for a pair of boots for my wife that can be mult purpose. A boot that can go snowshoeing in the deep snows of colorado and be suitable for normal day hikes. Does anyone have the answer to the best boot or something close.

Thanks
ryan

1:05 p.m. on November 6, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,386 forum posts

Ryan -

One thing about modern snowshoes is that they will take any kind of boot, or even running shoes. That means, of course, you could wear footgear that is not waterproof (like running shoes), which is not a good idea.

So, find a good pair of boots that work for the dayhiking and that have the added feature of being waterproof. Make sure they really are waterproof. Full leather boots that you treat with SnoSeal, Biwell, or one of the top-quality leather waterproofing compounds work very well (make sure you read the labels and instruction sheets for both the boots and waterproofing, since leather used for boots is treated in different ways by the different boot manufacturers). If you go for Goretex-lined boots, make sure they truly are waterproof - I have observed people with Gtex-lined boots who end up with wet feet when hiking in wet snow conditions (your Colorado conditions are often cold enough that the snow stays pretty dry, unlike our warmer California conditions, where the snow is in process of melting and seeps through anything).

Basically - good boots that are properly fitted first, then get just about any modern snowshoe (I prefer Atlas, myself).

2:46 p.m. on November 7, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

My wife swears by her Danner Mountain lite II's- all leather uppers with a goretex membrane - I've got a pair as well - had a pair of original mountain lites until they just plain wore out (uppers were shredded - they lasted quite a few years and through a number of re-soles) and replaced them with mountian lite II's as well.
They're not "ultralight" - and they're not sexy looking - and they might be a tad expensive (my last pair was around 200 bucks - five or six years ago - now on their second set of soles and due for a resole next year) but they're nice, durable boots that come in a lot of sizes and widths - so you can get a good fit.

11:36 p.m. on December 4, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I recently purchased a pair of plastic boots. Koflach's Degre boot are extremely warm and very comfortable for day hiking. Watch ebay, there have been several pairs on there lately. Check them out at REI and say goodbye to cold feet on winter hikes. Liners can also be removed and worn inside a sleeping bag for winter overnights.

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply