Backpacks for large torso (24"+)

7:14 p.m. on December 9, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm a tall guy, but what's worse is I carry all my length in my torso. What are some good week+ packs for someone with a torso of 24"-26". All the locals have recommended a kelty pack (I really like the red cloud packs) but they only fit a torso up to 21". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm trying to keep my price under $250. Thanks.

Nick

12:20 p.m. on December 11, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Some of the external frame packs can accomodate those of us long of torso better than the internal frame packs - you may want to look into them. They're not as "sexy" or modern as the internals - but can handle significant loads with ease. They may not spec a 24" torso within their fit range - but since you can modify the strap and hip belt attachement points (generally with a drill to relocate the mounts in the frame)a lot easier than you can modify an internal pack, they can be "friendlier" for large folks.
I believe their big pack is currently the tioga 5500 - there are other external packs, I'm sure.

1:38 a.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

I think the Kelty Red Cloud adjusts to your torso.

One of the reasons I bought it was the longer length and that it is adjustable to your torso length.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/red-cloud-6650/review/9559/

-John

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply