decisions, decisions, decisions

10:29 p.m. on December 12, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hey,

I'm looking for a little input on two products that I am seriously considering picking up. I'm a bit strapped for cash so I'm trying to get as much versatility out of my gear as possible. I need a new pack and new tent and am almost ready to buy the Mountainsmith Shavano 75 and the Exped Sirius Extreme.

I like the Shavano due to the fact that it is an alpine pack with the space for longer backpacking trips. Has anyone used it and, if so, what do you think of the comfort and durability? The weight is right where I want it and the features look like they'll take me through a range of trips. I do, however, need to find a place to size it and see how it feels - so, leaving that aside, any thoughts?

The Sirius Extreme appeals to me for its versatility. It looks like a tent I could use year round and the design, weight, and size are all very attractive. Again, I'll be using it for everything from quick, easy trips to some more technical ones in places like the Rockies and the Himalayas. My major question is to the tent's abilities in nasty, cold weather. Any feedback regarding overall brand quality would be appreciated, as well. I'm also considering the MSR Fusion 2 - any thoughts?

Again, I love everything about these two on paper, but am having a hard time finding feedback anywhere. Thanks in advance,

Jay

1:36 a.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Jay,

I am not familiar with the products that you mention. But I did want to make a note on backpacks. I have purchased the Kelty Red Cloud.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/red-cloud-6650/review/9559/

The more that I use this pack, the more I like it.

As for sizing it up, I am assuming you are referring to proper fit? If so, don't bother having the store do it. They can only fit an empty bag for you.

Each time I go out, I have to re-adjust the straps on the pack to fit my layers and to sinch down for the load I am carrying that trip.

The only thing I do not have to change is the up and down portion of the thoracic pad.

Hope this helps.

If you are not a large person, you may want to consider the 5500cu inch pack.

-John

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply