Buying a new tent, would like some help.

4:08 a.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

I have been thinking for a while about a new tent.

I am kinda stuck on which to buy. I have found several tents that look like they will work just fine.

Here are three and some questions I have.

MSR Hubba Hubba:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/hubba-hubba/

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/seedhouse-sl2/

Sierra Designs Baku 2:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/baku-2/

Here are my issues. I have an Eureka Zues II. The older model. I like this tent, it is light enough and holds me and my gear nicely. I can get everything in the tent and do not have to leave anything in the vestible if I do not want to.

Anyhow, as I have posted before, when the tent is pitched in the sun, the inside temps reach over 100 degrees fast. Sometimes I like to take an afternoon snooze when I hike to a peak or something. Despite the outside temp being 65 degrees, it was over one hundred in the tent according to my Altitech.

Anyhow, I have spent a few rainy nights in this tent and it held up great. Very little leaking even in a decent down pour.

What I think I am looking for. I think I want to stick with a two man tent. I can pretty much assure you, two men will never use this tent at the same time. But, I like to bring my gear in the tent. I have been thinking that if I have a tent with a bigger vestible, perhaps I won't feel like I need to bring my gear in the tent and thus a one man may work.

Also, I have been thinking I want a tent that is mostly mesh to maximize ventilation when I am kicking back in the sun and the fly is in place.

However, I have been reading some posts about those hiking in different conditions and they stated that heavy wind with rain may cause the rain to blow under the fly and in through the mesh. Hmmm. I don't like the sounds of that. Any furhter opinions on this?

I will be hiking mostly in the Rocky Mountains with one to three trips a year to the SW in the dry dessert areas.

So! Do I need to buy two tents or will one work just fine? I don't think that I am looking to hike in the snow per se, but perhaps near snow line in the spring. I do intend on sleeping several times above tree line in the Rockies.

Here is another issue. I like to sleep in comfort. Therefore I have purchased a self inflating pad that is 2.5 inches thick and 30 inches wide. I love this pad. I really do not want to shrink that in size. I may consider purchasing the 25 inch wide pad, but do not want to thin it out.

So! A single man tent, I did not find too many that are at least 30 inches wide. It would be nice if a few folks could post a few single man tents that I can consider.

This is what I am looking for in a tent. (I think)

Good ventilation. This I think is the big one for me. I have yet to be in extreme weather and doubt that I will be other than by surprize. And if I am, I doubt that I will hang around for more than a night if the weather was to remain bad.

I would like a double door tent so that when the fly is in place I can tie back two doors and get cross ventilation for that occassional, lazy after noon snooze. I think this is important as I had found out the hard way that my current tent will not do that.

Also, I think that I would like the doors on the sides and not on the ends. It looks like that would make it easier for me to get in and out. What do you think?

I think I would like a tent that is solid for about 1/3 the way up the walls to help prevent rain and sand from blowing in if it is windy.

I like the Sierra Design for the solid walls with two doors to help promote ventilation and help prevent wind and rain from blowing in. But I worry that it is not enough ventilation.

Price is not real important, but like anything else, I would like to spend the least amount as possible. However, quality is more important than price at this time. (I think.)

I am not willing to spend over $400.00 total on a tent. When I say tent, that includes better stakes, foot print and attic.

Oh yeah, I would like to stay as close to four pounds as possible with a two man and three pounds or less with a one man.

If you have suggestions for me, please post them. I will look at all.

Thank you,
John

[Edited by Dave: added product names, Trailspace links]

6:40 a.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I would consider the Hilleberg Nallo2. Weighs 2Kg, very strong in storm force winds (mine stood up to about 130kph). Great vestibule for cooking/pack storage/etc. Huge tent space for single person. Incredibly easy to pitch and inner stays dry when pitched as one unit (tent & fly together). I bought the extra foot attachments so inner can be pitched in good weather. Check out http://moontrail.com/ for complete pics of all aspects of inner/outer tent. They have photos of all their tents.

11:15 a.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Chris,

I looked at the Nallo 2. It looks like a tough tent, however, it puts me right back where I am now without ventilation.

Althought it looks like a better tent than mine, I don't think it is what I am looking for.

Thanks for introducing it to me however.

-John

8:10 p.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I have the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2. Not the SL, though - I was on a serious budget. I haven't had it out as much as I like, haven't been in the rain yet. I have camped next to a mountain stream, creating a 3-inch layer of condensation on every possible thing around (ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit) and I didn't get wet at all. There's plenty of space between the fly and the tent, allowing for plenty of ventilation. I'm incredibly happy with the tent. Compared to most 2 man tents, it's pretty roomy. 2 can sleep in it fairly comfortably, and the sleeping pads don't overlap as they do in some other models. The setup and takedown is a breeze, I can have it done in probably 3 minutes. It's lightweight, and doesn't take up too much room in the pack. That's my 2 cents worth.

11:38 p.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Tripp,

Thank you for you input. Have you had the tent up in the sun with the fly and have you tried to sneak a snooze while it is in the sun?

My first thought was to purcahse the Big A, but then I realized that there was only one door. Have you had any trouble with it getting too hot?

Thank you,
John

4:02 a.m. on December 19, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

As luck would have it, I was on Cabelas web site and came accross the Hubba Hubba for only $229.99. That is $70.00 less than every other web site I saw. Then they were offering $20.00 off for purchases over $100.00. Now it is a $90.00 savings, then I found the foot print for $12.00 less than everywhere else, now it is a $102.00 savings.

Although I did have to pay shipping, I did not pay taxes. That equals a two dollar loss from there price or a ten dollar savings from any local store.

I always thought Cabelas was expensive. I will have to look at them more often when I am shopping.

All total, I saved between $100.00 and $112.00. That really puts a smile on my face.

I had to go with the Hubba Hubba. I also found more reviews on other sites as well, they were all five out of five stars.

I will post my review after I have a chance to try it out.

-John

11:32 a.m. on December 19, 2006 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I have been in the same situation for quite awhile myself. It seems to me to lighten the load the tent is just not big/weatherproof enough. Also I really prefer a freestanding tent. I have numerous tents but still prefer my favorite to be Mountain Hardware Muir Trail tent. It is an older item but I have seen them on ebay and other websites for great prices. It is the same as the thru hiker except a little longer, and has zip in parts to cover the mesh for colder weather. Only one door at the top though. Fly peels back for great air circulation. Has been very versital and my personal favorite home from my bunch of gear homes.

11:48 a.m. on December 19, 2006 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Have had it up in the sun with the fly, haven't tried to nap in it. Not much problem with heat trapping yet, but I havent had it out in summer.

9:25 p.m. on December 19, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Buy an MSR Fling, I'm so happy with mine!

9:27 p.m. on December 19, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts
11:43 a.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Joey,

I did not see a Fling on that page. And to tell you the truth, I don't want too. If I find a better tent now, I will have buyers remorse for sure.

I also like free standing tents, although I still use steaks.

I did see the Hubba Hubba on that EBay site and they wanted $286.00 for it. With shipping and foot print I only paid $251.00. That is why I had to jump on it.

As well, I had been leaning toward the Hubba Hubba since I first saw it. From the reviews I have read, I think I am going to enjoy it very much.

I guess I was hoping that I would find more supporting view points in this thread.

Thanks a lot for the comments.

-John

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply