sleeping bag cover/bivy

9:37 p.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

hey,

just picked up a Mtn. Hardwear Phantom 0 degree. I love the bag and can't wait to get out in it. However, I am looking for any recommendations regarding a waterproof or highly water resistant bag cover or ULTRA-light bivy in case of wet weather and condensation in a tent. The OR stuff is nice, but more than I need. Ideally I would like a super thin, light, packable cover made of something akin to a 15D material with PacLite or even a coating like PreCip that I can stuff in my pack without adding more than a pound or so.

I had looked at the waterproof/resistant 0 degree bags, but they were all so much heavier than what I'll usually want or need.

thanks in advance,

Jay

10:14 p.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

Well, I haven't actually used the Integral Designs Overbag/Bivy, but I love ID gear, and thought this looked pretty cool when I read about it on their web site.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=767

Sounds sort of like what you're looking for. Anyone out there actually used one?

[Edited by Dave: fixed URL, added product name]

11:41 p.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

hey bill,

Thanks for the response. I did check that ID bivy out soon after posting my initial message. I also took a look at two from Mtn. Hardwear themselves - one being the Rock Sack bivy and the other being their Conduit SL bivy. Both of those look like good choices, too. The Rock Sack is, on paper, almost exactly what I'm looking for since it does use PacLite - which I've had good experience with. I like the look of the ID, and have heard good things about eVent, but never tried it. The Conduit SL bivy is also interesting - and is easily the cheapest - and I've had good luck with all my other Conduit pieces. My buddy just got the Absolute Zero SL Parka from Mtn. Hardwear, and I'll see what he thinks about the waterproofing before I make a choice. Interestingly, all three of the above bivies weigh in at 18 oz. REI makes something called the minimalist bivy, but I'm not a huge fan of their Elements waterproofing (coating or membrane) - but I do love my summer bag from them.

When it's all said and done, I'll prob. go with a Mtn. Hardwear for price - unless someone in my area carries ID and it wins me over.

Thanks again,

Jay

9:50 p.m. on December 21, 2006 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

A few things I've read describe Conduit as "water resistant" as opposed to waterproof. The Conduit bivy apparently has a Conduit upper and a waterproof polyurethane floor. (Reading from the REI site description: http://www.rei.com/product/9610831.htm)

Not sure if the water resistant vs. waterproof point is material for your purposes, and you're obviously already familiar with Conduit. (I wasn't until you mentioned it, so I did some reading and noticed this.)

Could be that you'll get a bit more versatility from either the other MH bivy or the ID one, which at least read as if they may be closer to genuinely waterproof. You'll be paying for it, however - the price on the Conduit bivy is right, that's for sure.

Let us know what you end up with, and how it works!

7:35 a.m. on December 26, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Haven't received it yet, but I just ordered the EMS Velocity Overbag from EMS - its onsale for about half price, and the specs look pretty good.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?prd_id=845524442587812

[Edited by Dave: fixed URL]

3:53 p.m. on December 26, 2006 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

The REI Minimalist is the way to go. It is super light (around a pound, I think) and packs down smaller than some rain shells I have seen. It is relativly inexpensive ($80) and it is waterproof and highly breathable. I would definetly recommend this bivy for ultra-lightweight use.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply