Vasque Super Alpinista opinions/comments?

6:05 p.m. on January 5, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Seems a lot of these are being blown out as of late, and I've been looking for a heavy mountaineering boot than my Meindl's that will take a crampon.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with them, or has heard much about them. I searched around but could not find any reviews of any usefulness.

Thanks in advance

Todd

5:49 p.m. on January 9, 2007 (EST)
143 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

I own a pair of Vasque Super Alpinista and love them. First of all, I have inflexible arches and wide feet. I owned a pair of Asolo Annapurnas (spelling probably incorrect) and didn't like them that much. I needed some boots that would take me vertical and stand -50F if the need arose. As it turns out, Alaska Mountaineering and Hardwear put the Super Alpinista on sale and I pounced.

No complaints from the standpoint of waterproofness or warmth. I have yet to have cold feet and I've stood around and belayed for extended periods of time. I also bought the normal size of boot and not a little smaller like other climbers do. I ended having heel slip the first time I front-pointed, so I stuck some green Superfeet in them and the problem is solved.

The only thing I would change if I were to redesign them is the lacing. It takes a couple of gorillas to tie them the first time and then I have to work it out by walking for 10 minutes. I retie, thightening what I already did and it's good for the day. It's a little bit of a routine but not out of character from what I would do otherwise, so I'm OK with it.

I've heard that they are the opposite of small and nimble but I've found that to be untrue. Sure, they aren't the smallest boots available but I can move around very easily. I can walk smoother than the Asolos, too. Did I mention that they were warm?

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply