About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Fabiano Boots

12:09 a.m. on February 3, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Hello all...

Well, after searching the ends of the internet, I have to conclude that Fabiano is no longer making boots. I have a set of Rios that I bought in '96 and are still going strong. I will like to get a new pair, just because they are looking alittle shabby(rock rash on toes). What current brand/make/model is considered a replacement for a pair of these? I love their weight and durability. I am on the 4th set of soles! It breaks my heart to think I may not be able to find something of their equivalent quality.

Please help

--peter

12:11 a.m. on February 3, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

By the way, I wear size 16. :I

6:42 p.m. on February 3, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

Fabiano is now part of Scarpa and has been for a number of years. Scarpa boots were imported by Black Diamond until about a year ago, but now have their own distribution in North America.

I have been using Scarpa for my tele, AT, and technical climbing boots for a number of years. Luckily for me, their standard last is very close to the shape of my feet.

6:49 p.m. on February 5, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Bill-
thanks for the lead. I'll see if I can find them on the web!
--Peter

6:56 p.m. on February 5, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

I found their site-- i guess they have gotten away from the old-school style that the Fabiano Rio was. Any suggestion on who is making a norwegian welt soled boot like the old Fabianos? They are a great boot that can pass as a dress shoe when polished up.

Thanks again
--Peter

8:53 p.m. on February 6, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

"By the way, I wear size 16."

My heart goes out to you. I wear size 14 with feet that are not a normal fit and have enough problems getting shoes.

4:37 p.m. on March 5, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Fabiano started as an outgrowth of a shoe repair shop in Boston. The founder was an Italian immigrant bootmaker. He designed a series of boots, mostly leather, that were fabricated to his specifications in Italy, by Scarpa. When Fabiano went out of business a few years ago, Scarpa retained one of the boots, the Rio, it its line. I now notice that the Rio no longer is in the Scarpa on-line catalog. While they always made the boots, they were marketed by the Fabianos and orighially bore both logos.

12:48 a.m. on March 6, 2007 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I notice that the Rio had stitchdown soles, whereas all or most of the current Scarpa offerings are bonded. Is this a recent Scarpa development, or was the stitching done expressly for the Fabianos?

And now that I've mentioned that, I wonder what the Forum opinion is on the two processes.

Jim B.

10:29 a.m. on March 6, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Norweigen welted boots are not extinct, but they keep getting closer each year. The Merrell Wilderness are still made that way (except for the synthetic lining) and are sold via REI. Sierra Trading Post sells boots by Alico made in that style, but they seem to be closing out most of their remaining inventory. You may be able to find the brand elsewhere. Limmer boots are still made with Norweigen welts.

I bought new boots yesterday at REI with my dividend. I bought Asolo leather boots without goretex, the TPS 535 model. These boots are replacing Merrell Wilderness boots. The Merrell's are fine boots, they just did not fit my feet as well as I would like. Time will tell how I like them, I too had a hard time buying a non-welted boot.

6:32 p.m. on March 18, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. stevet

Not too many norweigan welt bootmakers these days. Check out Limmer. They sell retail as well as custom. The retail are quite a bit less expensive...not sure if they go to 16 in retail.

I too have a Rios (size 15). A great all round boot. I keep them looking tip top using the boot care instructions found on Randy Merrell's custom bookmaking site.

Steve

6:45 p.m. on April 2, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi, couldn't help but put in my two cents worth of info. I own over 50 pairs of Hiking, Backpacking, Off -trail, Mountaineering, Rough trail , and Technical boots. All bought new ,mostly within the past couple of years (although I do still have a pair of Vasque roughed -out leather, leather lined, weigh close to 6 lbs. and I bought them in the early'70's-still not broken in because they are board stiff and to heavy for me) . I am going to give you some names of what I consider top notch brand boots because they are still made by second and third generation family craftsmen and women who use ths best leathers, the best designs for the intended purpose, and also take advantage of modern materials to make boots lighter, stronger, need less break in time, better water proofing methods and products and in alot of cases very stylish and some times cololful if you like something other than brown.I wear a US men's 14, Euro 48. I can wear some brands that list their boots as US 13 if they are also listed Euro 48, I will list these top brands alphabetically so as not to show bias toward any one brand but feel they all are 4-5* AKU, found on Shoebuy.com ,Asolo(Powermatic 200)Zappos.com or Shoebuy.com,Garmont,Zappos.com or Shoebuy.com, Kayland,(very hard to find) try a general search on the web, LaSportiva, Zappos.com or look the website up on the net and call the co. in Colorado, sportiva.com, Lowa, Shoebuy.com( I have close to 20 pair of their boots 5*) Scarpa,( I buy mine through the company) take a look...scarpanorthamerica.com,(love their boots!)Zamberlan, Zappos.com, Zamberlan.com Now the thing to remember is that Vibram is the sole maker of choice and for some reason they don't put out many sizes over 14. I know it a drag but they are slowy coming around in Italy and by the way all but 3 of these brands' main lines are hand made in Italy. ! 1 is either Germany, Italy, or Slovakia for boots, and the other 2 are Italy and Romania. The Norwegian welt boots are quickly being replaced by these newer and in most cases much more comfortable,stylish,and functional but still long lasting boots. China is having a big impact on the market especially in the low and in some cases mid cuts but they will never have that "Old World" craftsmanship where someone makes something because it is part of their heritage and what they believe in. You can still have boots custom made and for someone with let's say a size 16 foot and they want the old style and that quality ,it can be had. Not to dicourage you, but one firm in England wanted when all was said and done upwards of #3,000.00 to make a custom pair of " hiking" boots. Good luck. If you can afford to go to the North/Northeastern part of Italy about an hour from Venice towards Asolo or Bellaluna you will find many brands that we can't get hardly at all in the States.

12:32 a.m. on April 4, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

For anyone looking for a Norweigan welt Hiking/Climbing boot made by one of the finest Italian brands that have been making boots for generations here is a website to visit. Gronell.it Click on the English flag after you bring up the website, ( and if you have speakers with your computer check out the serene music that plays in the background ) go to production,drop down under production to Eper and you should be able to scroll down through many of these "classic" old style climbing boots . Gronell also makes some very nice modern style boots using suede, nylon, cordura, leather and Vibram soles. They use Event or Outdry for their moisture control lining. I like their Makalu model H624/01 in blue suede and nylon upper with a total weight of just 1200 grams for a pair of size 8's I believe. Just one problem. I haven't been able to find them anywhere in the States or Canada. The North American Rep. is listed on the Italian website and I called him and he wouldn't just order one or two pairs for me from Italy. There are alot of places listed in Italy that carry Gronell but so far all the websites are in Italian and I don't speak the language. I am still trying to email the factory and sites with email addresses but nothing yet. I'd love to go over there for a week to see what I could get but am claustrophobic and can't fly. Serious anxiety even traveling in a car! If you don't have to have classic mountain boots made by family craftsman and women, Cippewa makes some Norweigan welt boots that can be found on Shoebuy.com Free shipping and Free returns and shipping* be sure to check their current policy with regards to the shipping issue and they have a toll free number and discounts for becoming a member which just means a legitimate email address and a password and that will get you a 10% discount as long as you have made a purchase within 60 days* check there policy just to make sure it hasn't changed. sometime they have 20% off sales plus your membership 10%- that's 30% off. Pretty good deal!

1:45 p.m. on April 20, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. tenpa rinpoche

I have a pair of Fabiano boots since 1968: they are still going strong. The best replacement I have seen is the Alico "guide" or "summit."

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply