limmer standard boot update

8:42 p.m. on February 7, 2007 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,544 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

I bought a pair of Limmer Standard boots about fifteen months ago. I hike in them regularly, and they have been outstanding. A few thoughts:

1. Follow the advice in Limmer's literature about measuring your foot and fitting. Measure with the sock(s) you usually wear hiking. This helped me find a pair (11 wide) that fit well.

2. Take your time and don't despair about break-in. The leather outers are very, very solid and need time to conform to your feet. However, they are unquestionably the most comfortable and stable hiking boots i have owned - which has included all-leather boots by Merrell, Raichle, and Fabiano.

3. given the stiffness of the 3.2 mm leather used with the Standard, consider the mid-weight or lightweight Limmer boots. i love the Standards, but i'm over 200 pounds and have ruthlessly flat feet that need the support (i wear them with orthotics). They must use the same last to build the lighter-weight boots, and the "lightweight" uses 2.8 mm leather - very robust for a modern boot.

4. the boot grease Limmer sells is outstanding and helped with break-in. i have hiked in some muddy, sloshy weather with no leaks.

12:10 a.m. on February 8, 2007 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Did you get these from the shop in NH?...Intervale, I think. I heard they are also sold at LLBeans.

2:28 p.m. on February 11, 2007 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,544 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

Yes, Ragged Mountain Equipment in Intervale. they will advise to measure your feet per Limmer's instructions and offer advice about sizing if you send the information. I found the people there very helpful.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply