Eureka Apex 2XT vs Pinnacle pass 2XTA??

7:35 p.m. on February 10, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

What should I get. I plan on getting this tent for backpacking and was immediately going to get the Pinnacle pass, but I did a little more reading and the Pinnacle pass is made of 70D nylon vs the Apex's 75D polyester. The 75D is 20% stronger and will last 30% longer. Why did they use better fabric on the lower end tent and then add fiberglass poles and then use inferior Fabric on the Pinnacle pass and then use Aluminum poles? The Apex is 1 lbs. heavier yet it is superior in fabric, but the frame is fiberglass. Which one would you get for backpacking? I guess save a pound and have the tent not last as long, that sux though.

9:16 p.m. on February 10, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

If you take care of your tent, regardless of what it is made of, it can last a long time. Damage to a tent is most likely from poking holes in it rather than wear and tear, except for the floor, which a footprint will help preserve.

Poles, on the other hand make a big difference. Fiberglass poles generally speaking, will not last as long as aluminum and are almost impossible to fix if they break. Aluminum poles are way easier to fix-many tents come with a short sleeve that can be used to fix a bent or broken pole in the field-you just put the broken ends into the sleeve and duct tape them in place. Fiberglass poles are heavier than aluminum and as I already mentioned, once they fracture, they're pretty much useless.

So, my choice would be the tent with the aluminum poles, regardless of the difference in the fabric. If you are out in weather that is so bad it will shred your tent, you'll have a lot more than the tent to worry about.

9:39 p.m. on February 10, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Excellent post. That was a very informative answer. I will be going with the pinnacle pass then. I was also looking at the much higher end tents that cost a lot more, and most of the fabric wasn't even as good as what was on the Pinnacle pass, but I am almost positive that this is for weight saving purposes. I also suspect this is what the did for the pinnacle pass. Thanks again.

11:07 p.m. on February 10, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I think your assumption is correct. Many high end tents are made of materials that balance strength with weight. However, unless you are in gale force winds, the likelihood of actually tearing the fabric is pretty remote. If anything, you could blow out a seam, or break a pole. But that is where high end tents excel-in their fabrication and design. Tents do eventually wear out. Footprints are sold to prevent abrasion, but some of that is no doubt hype. It depends on where you use the tent.

The floor on my Sierra Design Flashlight started to lose its waterproof coating but I blame that on improper storage by me in a humid climate. I had the same thing happen to a bivy sack. Based on those experiences, I would make sure that my tent is fully dried out before storing it for a long time and I wouldn't stuff it back into the stuff sack except right before a trip. Hang it in a closet, or loosely stuff it in a breatheable sack of some kind, like a large cotton bag. The same applies to sleeping bags-keeping them compressed causes them to lose loft and gradually become less warm over time.

1:18 p.m. on February 22, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Tom makes some excellent points. I would add that I would never use fiberglass poles in a backpacking tent. They are heavy and break too easily. Fiberglass poles fine for keeping the cost down for family car camping. The A in 2XTA
means aluminum poles. I believe that Eureka used to offer an Apex 2XTA but apparently do not anymore. I've saved a lot of weight by switching to carbon fiber poles.

12:11 a.m. on February 23, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I just got back from a trip to Yosemite and one of the sections of one of the aluminum poles for my winter tent, which I was using for the first time, has a distinct bend in it. I got it used, so it probably was that way when I got it. I saw this when I set it up at home. It made no difference whatsoever. However, had it been fiberglass, I would bet the pole would have snapped if bent as much as it is now.

9:39 p.m. on March 24, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. TrailScout

This really helps. I was having a hard time deciding which tent I should get for the activities I plan to be involved in and there was almost no difference between the two tents except for the issue that was adressed here. I didn't know the difference between fiberglass and aluminum but now I do and am indeed grateful.

2:27 a.m. on March 25, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Glad to help. Another thing to consider is that aluminum pole sections are sort of generic-many tents will use similar tubing. If you do damage one,a place like REI or any specialized gear store may have spare pieces in their repair departments. Eureka is a well established brand, so in the unlikely event you do need spares, they shouldn't be too hard to find. There is also an online store that sells tent pole spares. These guys-http://www.polesforyou.com/

If you read many of the posts here, you will often see people looking for parts for tents that are almost impossible to find because the tents are only sold at big box stores or discounters that have no service departments and often no clue how to find spares.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply