Hello all and a quick question :)

4:45 p.m. on February 25, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Greetings everyone, although I just registered on this forum I have been using this site as a resource for a long time. I find the review section very useful and the forum section great for socializing with people who share the same love of the great outdoors as me. Now to my question. I am currently using a very well used and loved Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad. I cannot say the exact manufacturing date, but for what its worth its a solid purple pad. After my last trip (2 weeks on AT) i realized it wasn't holding air well. Considering its age, I would rather replace it than repair it. I was hoping you guys could offer some feedback on what sleeping pads have worked well for you. Because this pad worked so well for so long I am leaning towards newer Therm-A-Rest models such as the ProLite 4. Thanks everyone!

(p.s. my username is my nickname in realife, it is a combination of my first and last name)

9:39 p.m. on February 25, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

This is the one that I use. Peope give me crap about carrying a heavy pad, but I am big guy and this helps me sleep very nicely.

Of course they do have small and thinner pads.

-John

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/therm-a-rest/luxurycamp/

9:44 p.m. on February 25, 2007 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I also have the thermarest luxury for short, easy trips. But I love the Prolite 3 snort at 13 oz. for longer trips.

11:24 a.m. on February 26, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

11:26 a.m. on February 26, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

Check whether it is the valve that is leaking. They do tend to wear with age, and they are cheap and easy to replace. The way to check is to fill your bathtub with water, blow the ThermaRest up as hard as you can, and immmerse it in the water. You can get the replacement valves at REI and EMS, among other places. If the leak is a puncture, the current repair kits (the kind where you heat the tube of glue) are very easy to use. Never had a leaky pad myself in something like 30 years of using ThermaRests, but I have had to fix leaks on Scout hikes (mostly adult leaders!) and on Denali (guy didn't say anything about the leak until the 5th day) more than once.

12:49 p.m. on February 26, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Bill, I did what you suggested and the pad is leaking from the valve area. However I cannot tell if it is coming from the valve itself or the material around it. I will go ahead and replace it and test again. Thanks for the help.

12:20 a.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

For much better comfort, try one of the insulated air mattresses. I use an Insulmat Max Thermo, which is apparently now being replaced by the Ether Thermo model:

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/index.cfm?action=product&productID=132&groupID=23&familyID=1

Only 21oz, 2.5" thick cushiony comfort. It is insulated, so, unlike regular air mattresses, it doesn't make you feel like you are sleeping on an iceberg. I have used one on snow (temp down to about 20) and it was OK. I could tell it wasn't quite as warm as my standard thermarest, but I wasn't cold. For normal summer use, it's great. For example, on a trip that I did last summer from Horse Corral to Portal, I used it with a Western Mountaineering Summerlite (32 degree bag), and felt very comfortable and toasty in overnight temps that got down to the high 20s.

8:03 a.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Thanks for the input and I will definately check that out

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply