REI packs

11:49 a.m. on March 22, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

does anyone have any opinions on REI packs, specifically their UL models. they seem to be a great deal but i'm dont know if they will hold up or will be as comfortable as other name brand packs. any help would be greatly appreciated.

4:51 p.m. on March 29, 2007 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I think you are in pretty good shape if you get an REI model; REI-branded stuff is made to last and IIRC it all has a lifetime guarantee. I seriously considered one two years ago before I bought my Mountainsmith pack. I did try on the REI model, and it was pretty comfortable, but I decided on the MS one for my needs. It was a discontinued but loaded-out model I got new for around $100 off eBay...I think it has 4500 ci, 5500 expanded. Your best bet is to read up on all the features of today's packs and decide which ones are the most important to you. Good luck and enjoy.

1:57 a.m. on April 2, 2007 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

I looked seriously at the UL60, but finally went for the larger Kelty Shadow b/c I use this mainly for longer trips, and was concerned about fitting all my stuff in. However, I was impressed by the UL60's features, quality and fit. They are on clearance @ REI outlet right now, but I guess you know that... Great pack for 2-3 day trips.

10:10 p.m. on April 16, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I bought the UL45 for my wife as we are starting to do backpacking together. She has not used it yet...but I took it on a 2 and a half day trip with some guys and had plenty of room. The pack fit my sleeping bag, mess kit, sleeping pad, food, and clothing...plus some other little stuff. I am thinking about replacing my kelty Red Cloud 5400 with a smaller REI UL pack like the REI UL 60 one.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply