Just bought the "Mountainsmith Chute" hydration pack

6:09 p.m. on April 12, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

After being set back $100 for good hiking shoes, I was looking for a good 3 liter hydration pack with extra storage space. Not finding many for around the price I wanted to pay, I found a closeout deal on this Mountainsmith Chute pack.

Does anyone own one of these, or could perhaps point me to a review on it somewhere? I guess it doesn't much matter now since I already bought it. Just thinking about the long term..

12:52 a.m. on April 13, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

Try it out and let us know how it works out. Mountainsmith is a pretty reputable brand, so I would expect the quality to be pretty good. Let us know how the design works for your uses.

10:12 p.m. on April 14, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Well the thing arrived today. Pre-hike, almost everything on it seems great and well thought out except for one thing and that is the amount of space they left for you to pull the bladder in and out of the compartment. Basically there is a padded flap on the part of the backpack that goes against your back. You open this flap and there is the compartment for the bladder. The problem is that from left to right there is hardly enough room to get the bladder in and out.

I probably should have filled up my 3 liter water bottle and then used it to fill the bladder because it sure doesn't seem like I put a full 3 liters into that bladder.

I like the way the pack looks, it has sternum and waist straps, the moisture absorbing mesh on the back and shoulder straps as well. Also a few mesh pockets for extra small water bottles on the sides. And of course the large compartment for your stuff. Another nice touch is the top padded compartment for maybe sunglasses, or cellphone, wallet, or small camera.

It has some bungee cord in a cross pattern on the front so you can strap anything to it as well.

I've never owned a hydration pack before so I don't know if other ones make it hard to get the bladder in and out. But I have a feeling that would be the reason this pack was discontinued. The could have just as easily made the flap go all the way across so we could open it all the way..

If the weather is good, it should get its first use tomorrow =)

10:30 p.m. on April 14, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I have two packs with a bladder compartment and it's hard to get it in and out of them as well. One is an old, small Camelback daypack and the other is made by Outdoor Products -a cheap pack I bought for a winter day pack-pretty well made for the price I paid. I think the small compartment may not be unusual. Stuff sacks have the same problems-try stuffing a Thermorest back into its stuff sack after using it. Even my binoculars have a tiny case they barely fit in without some fiddling. Not sure what the rationale for this is, but it is annoying.

11:29 p.m. on April 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

It sure is annoying. They could have just as easily made the opening bigger. At least I know it's not only the pack I have, but many others. The pack performed well on the hike today. I don't really know how I can rate its actual performance just that it did not leak and there was plenty of room for all my over-packing stuff I didn't need lol. The "bite me" valve worked without a hitch.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply