Arc'Teryx Bora 80

3:29 p.m. on April 18, 2007 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I was looking for a pack for two night to weeklong trips this summer. I want something big enough for weeklong trips, but not too large so that I couldn't use it on only a two nighter. I've done a lot of day hiking, but have limited experience with backping. This pack is a lot of money so, I dont know if there are others that are less money yet capable of competing with it. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

1:18 p.m. on April 21, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have the BOra 80. Its an outstanding pack and you are paying for what you get. ArcTeryx still makes these and many of their items in Canada so you don't have to worry about cheaper, less reliable Taiwan/China construction. (That is part of the cost). The most important thing is finding the pack that fits your back right. And don't forget that in today's market with everything going lighter and smaller, you may be able to fit a weeks worth of stuff into a 60 L pack. You should practice by putting all of your gear (use what they have at the store) into the pack you're thinking of buying. For a comparable pack at a cheaper price you could check out the Gregory line. They have two packs in the 65-80 L range that are about $270 and are excellent. Osprey makes the Aether pack which is one step down from the crescent but could work for you as well and that comes in three different sizes all in your ballpark.

2:43 p.m. on April 21, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

There are literally hundreds of quality backpacks to choose from. The Bora 80 is a big heavy pack. It is very well made, but as you already know, really expensive. I had two of them (long story which I will skip)but sold both of them after using one of them only once. It really didn't fit me right-the waist belt was really stiff for one thing and not very comfortable. Unless you are planning a lot of use under expedition conditions, I wouldn't recommend it.

Instead, I would look at something like an Osprey Aether-lighter, less money and for me, more comfortable. I've only worn one in the store, but I could tell the difference right away. I also like Granite Gear packs-I've tried on several of them as well and they fit me well.

What I have now is a discontinued Kelty Flight. It is a modular design similar to their Spectra pack, but made of different material. It weighs about half of what a Bora 80 weighs and is slightly smaller.

The bottom line is virtually all brand name packs are well made, so find a pack that fits you right.

The other thing to consider is that if you buy lightweight gear-a whole other discussion-you can do just fine with a 50l or 60l pack like one of the many Granite Gear packs in those sizes.

4:34 p.m. on April 21, 2007 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to check out the Osprey to see if it fits well. Thanks again.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply