About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

trek poles, again

4:19 p.m. on May 24, 2007 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I have been taking some short hikes in the local hills (they are often used by AMC members to prep for trips) to build up my knee muscles and wind capacity. I have no problems using the poles on the flat or "paved trails" but on uphills with rocky trails I find them to be a pia-excuse me. They make a racket and I don't feel safe with my wrists properly placed and "married" in the loops. As I posted before, I get nervous when off balance and trying to position the poles. Maybe I should go back to finding a natural staff. Am I giving up on the trek poles too early?

10:27 p.m. on May 24, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

Sabino, Sounds like you don't have them adjusted right-the whole point of adjustable poles is so you can fit them to the situation, such as shortening them up when going uphill. If they are too long, you will have problems-same thing with cross-country ski poles. Practice, practice, practice.

12:24 a.m. on May 25, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

But because they are adjustable, there will always be the noise and weakness associated with the adjustment mechanism. I've tried both, and prefer a non-adjustable staff; my second favorite is a two-section adjustable that expands to nearly six feet.

However, I must admit that I do not use my staff in the same way that hikers used paired trekking poles; more often than not, the staff is employed as a binocular or camera rest.

8:44 p.m. on May 25, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

Actually, rexim, not all adjustable trekking poles make noise (other than the tapping on the ground, I mean). The adjustment mechanism in lower quality poles indeed does tend to make noise. But better quality poles do not. And, yes, I have a pole that I use as a monopod that is a 3-section pole which does not make "joint" noises.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply