SwissGear "Eiger" Sport 9 x 9 ft. Dome Tent

9:56 p.m. on May 26, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I just bought this and I was wondering if anyone has any reviews on this tent or at least the brand name. I am not much of a camper and actually this is my first tent. I will be doing mostly car camping, so no wilderness trips for me. How roomy is it for one person (I will have an air mattress) and how well does it hold up?

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

10:58 p.m. on May 26, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I saw one of these for sale on eBay for $30. I've never seen one in person,so my comments are based on the cost and description, including the photo. Don't expect much. A quality tent costs far more. Probably made in China and not very well at that. The fiberglass poles will break if not handled properly. This tent is supposedly seam sealed-don't believe it. This is not a tent for heavy weather. For occasional car camping,it's probably okay in fair weather. It is heavy and probably not that easy for one person to set up. Don't be surprised if the zippers fail on it after a few uses.

It is huge-81 square feet. The typical one or two person tent is around 30 sq. ft. more or less.

If you decide you like camping, save your money and buy a better tent from a name brand company some day. It will be worth it. Stay away from the tents sold at the big box stores; people post questions here about them all the time and frankly, they are cheap junk. You get what you pay for.

3:51 p.m. on May 29, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

The SwissGear brand is made by Wenger, one of the Swiss Army knife companies. There are a few reviews here, though none of that particular tent: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/swissgear/

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply