Solo two person tents, just three choices

3:07 p.m. on July 17, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm looking for a dry backpacking tent. I have owned a number of tents that have all eventually walked away. I now must start over.

My experience has been exclusively Appalachian; Assategue, Smokies, Monongahela, Shannandoah, Catskills, Maine, Adirondacks, NJ. This with undoubtably continue.

I live in NY (not native) and suprisingly own a car. My needs for the car are obvious, Timberline 4. Sturdy. Dry.

My needs for backcountry are now whittled down to just three based on availability, price, and weight. I don't mind some weight if I am dry inside. I must assume that I will be packing alone, although extra space would be nice to serve as a Fresh Air Fund.

Gunnison 2-seems to pack long (and heavier) than the other two. Maybe a goundcloth isn't needed? Does a half pound really matter to me? I say theat about everything!

Pinnacle Pass 2XTA-the floor is far inferior to the others. Smallest pack size. Will it be in the garbage in just a couple years?

Marmot Limelight 2-saw an image of a broken swivel attachment for the third pole :( Nice wall and floor materials. Is it too short for a 6'2" or 3" person? It's surely a tight width for two. Will it stay dry?

They practically weigh the same, they are all under $200. Which will last?

I'm going for the Gunnison.
Muther Hubbard! I don't know.
The weight.
If I'm alone (which I will be on this walk) I don't need all that space.
The Limelight.
Ugh! Broken swivel.
I can see the seams seperating now.

Help

9:13 a.m. on July 18, 2007 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Without sounding like a broken record here - if you like the Gunnison, take a look at Kelty's new Pagosa 2. It has the same size floor and ceiling height, but a different pole setup. It's also lighter with larger vestibules (with windows!). Pack size is 6" x 20" or could be smaller if you pack the poles seperately (they fold down to 18"). The Pagosa (in my opinion) also has better venting (no condensation issues here) than the Gunnison and I have already survived several brutal spring storms without a drop of water getting in. My only complaint has been that the footprint has swivel clips that don't mate the fly's side release buckles. I thought I solved the problem by buying a Gunnison 2 footprint online (that had side release buckles in the picture), but the thing showed up with the same swivel clips. Go figure.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply