Boot options for wide feet?

11:43 p.m. on August 1, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Can anyone recommend boot makers for us high-volume foot guys? I have wide feet, EEEE or so, but it has to be the _right_ 4E. I'm very wide at the ball of the foot, but relatively normal elsewhere. So I'm not just high-volume; I'm a hard shape to fit.

As a reference point, my downhill ski boots are blown out to the max, and still give me major hot spots.

I lucked out with some old Dunhams, but they seem to have changed their lasts. The new models are skinnier.

Possibilities?

Thanks.

1:38 p.m. on August 2, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Very wide feet, extra large feet, extra small feet are all problems. Manufacturers make what they can sell lots of and neglect anything very far off the average. Barb used to get sample shoes really cheap (she wears size 4, but can sometimes fit a size 5). But, as people's feet have gotten larger with each generation, she often finds that 6 is as small as some lines of shoes go.

The only solution for shoes and boots far off the "average" is to go with a custom bootmaker. Peter Limmer, in New Hampshire, has been making excellent boots for decades. The original Peter Limmer is deceased, I believe, but no longer making boots in any case. His son has continued the tradition. Someone told me that the Limmer firm employs something like 1/3 of the custom bootmakers in the US that make boots from scratch to fit individual feet. I had a pair many years ago - most comfortable boots I ever owned, but I got lazy and just bought off-the-shelf ones (I am lucky to match several of the bootmakers standard lasts).

Note that there are two parts to Limmer. Limmer Boots is for their "standard" boots. Peter Limmer and Sons is the part that does the custom boots. Telephone is(603)-356-5378, and email is limmerandsons@data-web.net. The Limmer Boots side has different phone and email, although they are co-located in Intervale, NH

Limmer sends you a set of instructions for making a trace of your feet (separate for each foot), along with measurements at several locations. You send this model of your feet to them and they make the boots to your specification.

Let us know you experience, since I haven't dealt with them in some years.

6:35 p.m. on August 3, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

My custom hiking/hunting boots come from Charles Van Gorkum, they are superb, take roughly two years to get and cost a lot of money. Yet, Charlie, one of the truely nicest, most decent men I know is NOT making high wages at this exacting craft, good leather, etc. is expensive.

Are they WORTH IT, you ask since they are about $1500.00 per pair, well, we bought my wife hers in 1993, mine in 2005 and I ordered a spare pair to be delivered in early spring, 2008. With taxes, these will cost me $1685.00 CDN and I HAVE several pairs of highend boots now and am not wealthy. BUT, the performance on my 61 yr. old, badly injured legs REALLY makes the difference, to hike, you NEED good boots and can dispense with a lot of the gear marketed to those who are easy marks for salespeople.

Viberg Boots in Victoria, BC, also makes a decent custom boot and they are not too costly....go to www.workboot.com

5:59 p.m. on August 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Hi

the last can vary greatly within a manufacturers line-up. when i was a hiking boot fitter, i had success with some models from raichle, lowa, montrail. the tough part will be finding a real backpacking store that carries certain models ..

6:07 p.m. on August 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Have you tried Asolo? I've had good experiences with Asolo leather boots in the past. I'm pretty sure they put out a 'wide fit' model.
George

7:05 p.m. on August 16, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I have offered "Made-to-Measure" Hiking Boots and XC Ski Boots since 1978. (e-mail me your mailing address for a packet of information)or send it to poBox 2523 Estes Park, CO. 80517.

3:38 p.m. on August 17, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

John,

Thanks for the reply. By all means mail the packet.

Aram Schiffman
117 Westfield Circle
Danville, CA 94526

Thanks,
Aram

12:33 p.m. on August 19, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. P Gunyon, Phil Gunyon

I wear a 14 4E. I know your pain!! I can get boots through BA Mason. They care up to 18's and super wide shoes and boots. I have never had a problem with returning a pair that has not fit right, they have all ways been good about it. I also have been looking around for a boot made by ?? West Coast or something like that. They are out of the north west,Washington or Oregon, they make lumber jack boots. I hear that they measure something like 17 different spots of your foot and make a boot from that for you. I hear the cost is a bit high...but hey if it fits like a glove out of the box...why not. Good luck Phil g

5:18 p.m. on August 28, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I think you're looking for Wesco boots.
Their site is westcoastshoe [dot] com

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply