About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Tents, 2P, for tall people & dog

4:34 p.m. on August 29, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've recently extensively checked into 2/3 person tent arena and was looking for some advice on what I overlooked, or looked into too much.

I'm 6'3, my feet and head both generally touch walls of tents. It's annoying.

I need a 3-3.5 season tent.
I need it to be at least 88 inches long.
I need it to use swiftclips of some sort.
I need the footprint/fly option.
I kinda sorta need it to be 42 inches tall, negotiable slightly.
The wider the better, as me and my girlfriend aren't tiny people (in shape, just big people).
The lighter the better, I was aiming at around five pounds.
A view out the top of the tent.
A good sized, or two decent sized, vestibules.

So right now I've narrowed it down to a few I love.

The Marmot Aeolos 2, the only sacrifices with this are 2 inches in height (going to go to REI and find a tent of same height and see if it works for me), and weight (10oz or so over 5lb).

The Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL3. Pretty much same as above, more mesh, bigger pack size.

The black diamond Mesa 2. Seems pretty perfect, just missing the "sexy" factor that the other two have.

Anyone have anything to say about any of these tents? Anything you could say that I could benefit from?

6:59 p.m. on August 29, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Take a look at Hilleberg tents. They have large vestibules, which are a good place for Pooch to sleep without getting sharp claws in the main tent floor. Since Bo Hilleberg is about your height, he designs his tents to be comfortable for himself (his son is an inch or two taller), and he personally tests all his designs in a wide range of conditions.

I'm not sure why you want the "view" out the top of the tent. The way 3-season and summer tents get this is a lot of mesh - which fuzzes and obscures the view considerably. If it rains or snows, you will want the fly (mesh doesn't keep rain or snow out, obviously), which completely blocks the view.

If you truly want a view, then camp without a tent (something I do a fair amount in summer, and sometimes even in winter - my partners and I even slept out on Denali a few nights when we knew the weather was going to be reasonable - talk about your wpectacular views!). And do it above timberline - otherwise the trees obscure the views. Some tents have flies with a plastic window, usually in the vestibule. These have a very distorted view even when new, and quickly pick up scratches and fog/frost over easily, which then is simply a skylight, not a window. When you go without a tent, you have cut the weight way down. You can carry a Siltarp to quickly rig (as recommended here many times) - 8 ounces, and keeps the rain and snow off.

10:53 p.m. on August 29, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hilleberg tents are really out of my price range.

I want a meshy obscured view because it beats the alternative, no view.

I trim my dogs nails down before we go backpacking, this factor doesn't present a problem for me, and I enjoy the warmth of another body.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply