Hiking the John Muir in October

5:16 a.m. on September 7, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Is hiking the John Muir, starting in early October, advisable? What is to be expected? Thx!

12:53 a.m. on September 8, 2007 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

You will find creek crossings waaay down especially this year.

You will find ample water for the trip. Take a jug for drinking in between.

You will find very little green below knee level, few if any flowers.

You will find no mosquitoes

You will almost be by yourself for most of the trip.

You will have cool days and cold nights (perhaps 20's often).

You will have longer nights and shorter days. Might cut down on your daily mileage. Give you more time to hang around listening to the mp3 or get through that book. Or if you find a hiking companion, all the lies you can come up with for several weeks.

More than likely not a lot of precipitation. Take a look at Tioga Pass closing dates to get an idea of expected large sticking snows.

You will probably get a snowed upon once. Usually they don't really stick until nearer to Thanksgiving.

It could be the best weather ever with cool days and warmer nights and not a cloud in the sky...wouldn't bet on it.

If the above turns you on, then this is your trip.

For the most part long(er) weather forecasts are fairly good at this time of year. But wouldn't bet on more than 10 day. Check on new forecasts at resupply points. Any weather at this time of year is more severe than during summer months except you won't have a lot of lightning.

8:12 p.m. on September 10, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

Just back from 4 days hiking in the Tioga area - the bears are really hungry this year. When we got back to the car this morning, we talked to one of the camp hosts, who told us they have had numerous car breakins, as well as tents ripped apart and SunShowers ripped apart (hunnnhhh??? Why?? I suspect that someone left their hydration bladder out with energy drink of juice, so the bears now are going after plastic bags with liquid in them). Barb and I saw some large piles of scat at surprisingly low altitude. So definitely take the required bear container. We had no problem (got some photos, though), but the fisherman camped near us in one place lost a string of fish he had cooling in the stream while he was trying to catch "just one more".

I suspect speacock is wrong about the lightning - we had lightning every day - ground strikes we saw that were at a distance (2-3 miles by the 5 second rule, one closer - actually 2-3 miles is as close as I personally ever want to be to a ground strike). We didn't get much rain, but people within a few miles we met up with said they did, and the trip coordinator for 4 school groups in the surrounding area said the report he got on satphone was that 2 of the groups got dumped on.

6:07 a.m. on September 12, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Much appreciated guys, thx!

12:31 a.m. on September 13, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

That's really troubling to hear how aggressive the bears are getting. Ripping tents open is really bad.

I'm particularly anal about keeping all traces of food away from my tent - and would like to think this minimizes the chances of a bear disturbing the tent (or me while sleeping).

But I guess this isn't a safe assumption anymore, at least around Yosemite...

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply