About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

looking for a pack

2:13 p.m. on November 6, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
58 forum posts

I'm looking for a day pack around 3000ci that has axe loops a way to carry skis, crampons and snow shoes. not necessarily at the same time also a way to carry an a probe and a shovel would be nice any recommendations for a pack that has some of these features would be nice i know i wont find one that perfectly fits my needs

Thx Dave

3:08 p.m. on November 6, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I would buy a Mystery Ranch Big Sky and add two Fliptop Pockets on the waistbelt. I currently have a 30 year old Dana Gleason Bomb pack, used VERY hard, still in excellent shape and four of the latest MR packs he makes in Bozeman, I had a Terraplane Overkill until some !@#%@%^^ broke into my home and swiped it.

The Big Sky in bright red would do exactly what you want and while not "cheap", MR packs are the BEST I have ever used....and that is quite a few!

8:03 p.m. on November 6, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,738 forum posts

Dave, I suggest looking for tips on some of the skiig websites. Telemarktips.com is a good place to look. There are always threads there about what backcountry pack to buy-which from what you said, is what you want.

Some packs I have seen suggested on TT include packs from BCA-the Stash series; Osprey Switch series; Da Kine and Black Diamond. These packs are designed specifically for backcountry ski and snowboarding and many have shovel and helmet pockets, ski slots or snowboard attachments and BD even has a couple with their Avalung already fitted into them.

8:24 p.m. on November 6, 2007 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts
12:12 p.m. on November 9, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jeff Chandler, Jeffrey C.

Dakine Pro II
or if you can find it a GoLite powder8

7:40 p.m. on November 24, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Check out Deuter Packs I own the Deuter ACT 55+10 Love it.
Their quality is better than some, and very durable Pack.. This pack, the Deuter Act 55+10 Suspension handles a 55-lbs. Load. One Feature that is awesome is their ( Vari-Quick ) Aircontact system. Adjustable Suspension/Harness. Great went you need to adjust for clothing during winter treks, to light clothing for spring hiking. Down side is that the waist belt is not interchangeable, Second; pack is not consider lightweight...
Packs:
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/trekking.php?tert=aircontact

Suspension:
http://www.deuterusa.com/img/systems/aircontact.gif

Old Hermit

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply