alpine boots

11:59 a.m. on December 16, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Do you think that the la sportiva nepal top is up to alpine use above 4000m? It has served me well in everything I have thrown at it below that, but I'm not sure whether it is capable of keeping my feet warm and dry up there, since it is a leather boot without gore-tex.

thanks for any input!

7:10 p.m. on December 16, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Depends on what you mean by alpine use and 4K. I wore tennis shoes at 5K in the Andes while I was living down there. My house was at 3K, and the airport was at about 3.5 K, so your question won't get much of an answer without more detail. So, yes, if you are a tourist in La Paz, those will be just fine.

2:44 a.m. on December 17, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I am planning on climbing in the Monte Rosa region next year and am likely to stay above 4000m for two to three days there enjoying anything that's around D or TD-. one week later we will make an attempt to climb mont blanc via the route des Aiguilles Grises (that is the Italian side), not technically demanding, but again well over 4000m.
Since I have never stayed long enough on such altitude I have never been able to experience my boots capabilities in terms of insulation (altough they are a bit warm when used on the approach from lower valleys).

I hope this defines a bit more my alpine use i.e. steep snow and ice, glacier travel, rocks and boulders...Mmm

11:46 a.m. on December 17, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Dat's vut yoauh bootz vutz maid foah.

If the D & TD routes contemplated include much rock, then rock shoes might be an addition. But don't do the dumb thing I did once; bringing my regular-sized cragging shoes to high alpine. Duh, I guess wearing socks would be good inside shoes on partly snow-covered fifth class & blowing snow, so the rock shoes stayed in camp.
-------------

2:07 p.m. on December 17, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

You may want to check with the guiding companies in that area and see what they recommend. If anyone knows what is appropriate for that area, I would think they would know. Ask what the guides wear.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply