Mystery Ranch G6000 vs Gregory Denali Pro

7:34 p.m. on January 30, 2008 (EST)
34 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I'm in the market for a Big Hauler . and, ( I think) have narrowed it down to these two .

Anyone have any comments / insights to share ??

Thanks

8:18 p.m. on January 30, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I had a Denali Pro from March 2003 to June 2005 and hauled a lot in it. I have a MR BDSB, now called the Kodiak, a MR NICE-6500 combo, a MR NICE-OK-Crewcab and a MR 3Day Assault pack. I also have had and have a lot of other packs over the years.

I found the Denali crapped out at about 60 lbs., while that is a feather in the MR G-packs, fit being correct, of course. The G-6000 is the size just under the BDSB, a modification of the G-7000 and it is, IMHO, the BEST big pack for about anything available today.

MR are the best people to deal with that I have found in all my outdoor life, I cannot recommend their packs too highly and only a custom McHale is an option I would consider, IF, you can afford it.

BTW, I do not know anyone at MR, but, have used Dana Gleason's (the owner) packs for just over 30 years with total satisfaction. Only WM, Hilleberg and ID gear impresses me as much.

3:29 p.m. on January 31, 2008 (EST)
34 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Thanks !!

Now, with no "retail support" I understand that you get the pack in the mail .. .. then funk around with the pack to make it fit you...

I'm hoping that any yokel can do this (?) Or, is this something that I should consider going to Bozeman for ??

4:06 p.m. on January 31, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

It is so easy that even I could do it. The yoke simply needs to be slid up/down to adjust to your torso and I find that this takes about 90 seconds.

You tell them your waist size and general build when you phone in your order and they will send you the correct size of waist belt-shoulder yoke. You can also buy these from, www.bearriveroutfitters.org and he can walk you through fitting on the phone.

I find these the best fitting, easiest to adjust and generally finest packs I have used in my 50+ years of hiking, I wonder how they can make them this good at the retail price they charge when you consider they are made in Bozeman.

12:05 p.m. on February 1, 2008 (EST)
34 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Hey Kutenay..

Thanks sooo much for you commnets !! I just spoke with Patrick . over at Mystery ranch .. and ordered a G6000 in Titanium

( recognizing that he may have a bias) he echoed your comments on the fitting peice.

Thanks again !

10:12 p.m. on February 20, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts
Re: Mystery Ranch G6000 vs Gregory Denali Pro or G7000

I am looking at the G6000 or G7000. I have an Osprey 85 Crescent(5100 cubic inches) right now, but always seem to have gear hanging off the back, top, bottom, or side of my pack. I really prefer to put everything inside my back for my 10 day-2 week-long trips backpacking.

These are good reports about the G6000. Does anyone have experience with the G7000? I talked with the folks at Mystery Ranch and they seem very good. I, too, however, worry about getting the perfect fit without going to Bozeman.

I've looked at the Gregory Denali, Osprey 110, Arc'teryx Bora 95 (a beautiful pack)the NOLS Deuter 90+10 and a couple of others. But I'm really intrigued by the Mystery Ranch G6000 or G7000.

Any experience with either or thoughts about fitting and long-term quality of Mystery Ranch would be appreciated.

12:02 a.m. on February 21, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

My BDSB now known as the Kodiak is the G-7000 in a heavy duty military version at greater cost. I set mine up with twin Longpockets, twin Fliptop pockets and a gun carrier consisting of a Kifaru Gunbearer bottom and a gun Corral top, this is a huge, very costly and heavy pack and it is just incredible, I can and have carried an honest 100 lbs. in it for training and I am 61 years old.

However, it is very large and really is meant for certain types of situations, which is why I chose it. The G-6000 SHOULD be adequate for almost any use one would normally want a pack for.

I have sold and/or fitted all the packs you mention, most of them I wouldn't buy and the Bora 95 is nowhere close to a MR G-pack in quality, based on my extensive experience with them. As to longterm quality, I have had seven packs from Dana Gleason and one was stolen, my first is over 30 yrs. old and still in excellent shape, after brutal use.

The fitting is so easy that it will amaze you, I would not buy any other pack now, except a custom Mchale "full Dyneema" in gray-red for winter camping at 6.5 lbs. and so much money that I am afraid to post it! MR rocks, no other production pack comes close.

3:01 a.m. on February 21, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I have a discontinued old Mountain Smith supposedly 7000 cubic inches. The new ones are very different, though I haven't looked closely and have no insight regarding current market.

It's an absolutely horrible pack, very poorly designed, and not all that cheap in its day. In some ways, such a lousy pack as this, you can't even buy today.

But it remains functional and can definitely handle lots of mattresses and stuff for winter packing etc. I sometimes like its size for packing simplicity with girlfriend and her dogs, when things get chaotic and I must take some of her stuff and the sorely wished for, 30L overnight pack isn't going to cut it.

But carrying a 60-pound load any distance is well beyond my ability or interests, which lean somewhat toward seeking fun and pleasure.

12:26 a.m. on March 3, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts
Re: Mystery Ranch G6000

Thanks for mentioning the McHale pack. I'm going to check it out.

6:57 a.m. on March 3, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

In the past year, two friends of mine in the U.S., who have often asked me for advice on gear-wilderness issues, have gone to Dan's full custom packs and both of these gents just RAVE about them. These are guys with a LOT of experience in using highend gear and they DO use their stuff a lot.

I may yet spring for a full Dyneema, but, really don't need one with the packs I now have. The pack and boots, not fancy GPS units, wrist computers and other such useless crap are where you should spend the REAL $$$$. You can now buy quite decent sleeping bags fairly cheaply, not ones like Western Mountaineerng or Valandre, probably the best bags I have of the several I own, but, good enough for most treks.

Yet, the increase in comfort and enjoyment with really FINE boots and pack add HUGELY to your backpacking trips, so, look at Dan and Dana's packs and go from there. Good luck with your search, let us know what you end up with and I know of a used G-6000 for sale, if you are interested.

7:35 p.m. on March 14, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

kutenay,

is that G-6000 still for sale?

8:15 p.m. on March 14, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I don't know, but, I think it is. Log onto www.24hourcampfire.com, go to the backpacking-hunting forum and PM "stillhunter 73", it's his pack and he is easy to find there, he lives in New York State.

Ask him, anyway. Good luck.

2:33 p.m. on March 26, 2008 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

Late to the fray but I have the titanium G6000 and use it all the time. Best pack for me. When I first got the pack, their website said "6400 cubic inches" Now, they say "6000 cubic inches". Which is it, guys?

I toyed between the G5000 and G6000 since my last pack was a 5500 ci Terraplane. I decided to go with the 8 pound G6000 cuz it has more room, but either will haul huge loads w/o complaint. The perfect big pack? Close to it, only a couple drawbacks I can see(the needless middle packbody zipper and the needless sleeping bag compartment zipper/cinch buckle).

4:39 p.m. on March 26, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

6400 cu in or 6000 cu in????? The problem is that there is really no standard way of measuring pack volume. Some companies use a measurement of the dimensions and multiply it out, while others fill the pack with pingpong balls, which it is claimed, give a more realistic "usable volume". And there are other approaches. Some include the accessory pockets (top flap, side pockets, etc, while some list these separately, giving the main bag volume.

And, since most manufacturers make a given model of pack in a "small/medium/large" torso size, they should state which one the size is for (some do, some don't). From my experiences with Mr. Gleason over the years, I suspect (without measuring) that the "G6000" name refers to the volume of the main compartment, and that the 6400 cu in is the volume of main compartment plus top pocket (the top flap pocket on most Dana-designed packs is around 400 cu in). We got both my and Barb's Terraplanes while Mr Gleason still owned the company, and he listed the volumes separately for the large (mine) and medium (Barb's), and the volumes of the main compartment, top pocket, and back pockets separately. The top pocket is the same on both (400 cu in), but the main and back pocket volumes are about 5 percent smaller on hers.

3:58 a.m. on May 29, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi,
If you're looking at hauling a big loads for long periods of time, I can't recommend McHale packs more. Custom built for you, exactly to your specifications. They're a little pricey and the look is a bit retro, but amazingly comfortable with heavy loads.
I work as a mountaineering guide in Patagonia, and have had multiple problems with Gregory packs. Shoulder straps and other seams come undone after a bit of heavy use.
Never seen a MR pack fail, and the clients all have good things to say about them.
But spend a little extra money on the McHale, and you'll have a pack for life.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply