Whatever happened to Camp Trails? (the company)

4:33 p.m. on March 4, 2008 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I was going through some old gear of mine the other day and came across a CampTrails Catskill multi-day backpack of mine that I completely forgot about. I went online to try and see if it was still made and I can't even find this CampTrails company anywhere. I've had the pack for around 10 years and noticed that the people writing reviews for it on this website also purchased it many years ago. Does anyone know what happened to this company?

2:37 a.m. on March 5, 2008 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

The company appears to have been purchased at some point by Johnson Outdoors, the same conglomerate that owns Eureka. They do not seem to be selling any more gear under the brand name although "camptrails.com" takes you to the Johnson website.

9:52 a.m. on March 5, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Camp Trails has been part of the Johnson Worldwide for quite a long time. I think Johnson just shut down the brand. For a bit they made packs under the Eureka label, but I think that has stopped as well.

12:49 p.m. on March 5, 2008 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

http://www.camptrails.co.za/

check out the tents on this websight. Kinda look like Eureka tents don't they?

wonder if this company bought out CampTrails.

I like their stuff.

I still use a Camptrails Wilderness internal frame pack and have a couple of CampTrails tents.

I think for average Joe Backpacker, this gear was absolutely the "best bang for the buck".

1:16 a.m. on March 6, 2008 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Ed, that site is based in [edit]South Africa (Za country code). My guess is they are just using the old Camp Trails name. As Alan and I noted above, Camptrails was bought by Johnson Outdoors a while back, and it does not seem like the African company is connected to them.

2:41 a.m. on March 6, 2008 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yes, I know that CampTrails was part of Johnson Outdoors.

prior to 1988... when I started buying their stuff.

Might have always been that way... sort of a chevy nova/cadillac kind of thing for GM

9:28 a.m. on March 6, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

If you go to Eureka's web site and from there go to the Canadian site, they still sell packs, but under the Eureka name, not camp trails. Eureka's Canadian site also has a slightly different tent selection than the US site.

11:05 a.m. on March 20, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

.za is South Africa, by the way. Don't ask me why.

1:00 p.m. on March 20, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

You are right. I'll fix that in my other post. Zambia is ZM, which I thought was ZA. Saudia Arabia is SA.

2:46 a.m. on May 23, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I was looking for this company too, and if you check out Eureka's European distributor, they still have Camp Trails listed at:

http://www.nigor.net/

That then links to the website which is:

http://www.camptrails.eu/en/index.php?language=en

Looks like they only have tents.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply