Rain Jackets

8:21 p.m. on March 5, 2008 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I'm looking for a good, breathable rain jacket for hiking, that keeps you dry. Below is a list I have compiled of possible ones. Please let me know, through experience or ear, whether they are effective for what I mentioned. Thanks.

- Marmot Precip
- The North Face Venture
- The North Face Prophecy
- L.L. Bean Storm Chaser
- Patagonia Rain Shadow
- EMS Thunderhead

8:30 p.m. on March 5, 2008 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I've owned three Marmot precips! They do not last very long nor are they very breathable, but hey you can't beat the price especialy if you get them on sale at rei. Since I know your going to be thru-hiking you may want to consider frog toggs rain gear. An appalachian trail favorite, and $$$$cheap!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2588920

10:38 a.m. on March 7, 2008 (EST)
22 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I owne the L.L.Bean Stowaway Goretex jacket ($ 145.). I've used it for 3 years with trips in the Wind Rivers, Grand Tetons and many trips on the A.T.
Durabillity so far has been good. For waterproofness, of the whole time I've worn the jacket there were just a couple of times in a downpour on the A.T. in North Carolina that I found the jacket had kept me dry for the most part.

Once when the weather was on the cool side (55-60 F) with rain on and off the whole day, with my rate of perspiration the jacket worked well. But with temps above 75 F I would sweat enough to be wet underneath the jacket.
For me the jacket was a bit more waterproof than breatable.

I've experienced the same results on other higher end Goretex jackets ($ 300-400).

I like the fact that the seams are taped but on the down side there are no pit zips which would help in ventilation.

One thing to consider whether you're activity is mountaineering or hiking and backpacking, for mountaineering I would go with the 2-3 ply Goretex, pit zips and other features you find on a mount. jacket but for just hiking I would go with the jackets in the $125-175 range.
But for the money Beans' stowaway jacket is tough to beat.

5:07 p.m. on March 19, 2008 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I own two waterproof/breathable rain parkas: a Campmor brand Storm Sphere (which featureth their proprietary Camp Tech microporus coating) and a Cabela's Rainy River Rain Parka, which has an Gore-Tex Pac Lite laminate. Both are excellent parkas. Both breathe extremely well and not a drop of moisture ever leaks through.

I would recommend either rain parka. Plus both are reasonably priced-under $100.00.

5:41 p.m. on March 19, 2008 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

So what is your experience with Red Ledge rain gear? I found it to be decent, lightweight and very affordable.

Funny thing you give the rather unfavorable report when it comes to Marmot Precips. This certain fellow (who posteth on backpacker.com) makes that rain jacket to be the best thing since sliced bread. How wrong he is! And ANYONE who dares to disagree with him he makes out to be the biggest sinner out there! I should know-I personally faced his "wrath" over the years!

Personally I never considered the Precip jacket, since there are so many better alternatives available. Just my experience.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply