MSR Missing Link...

8:16 p.m. on April 16, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

I just picked one of these up off of E-bay for $150, and I'm excited to use it! My current (only) tent is a 2-person 4-season Marmot Citadel (12+lbs), and so I'm looking forward to dropping down to 3lbs flat! Does anyone have any experience with this tent? I read all the reviews, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other tips/suggestions.

3:37 p.m. on April 21, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I'm very happy with my Missing Link (though I take my silnylon tarp, not a tent, on most trips). Here's why I like the Missing Link:

-- It has lots of interior space. I'm almost 6-foot-3, which isn't that tall, but it's tall enough to be uncomfortable in almost every other lightweight tent. I hate having my face shoved under the sloping wall of a tent corner. The Missing Link is looong (or, more accurately, wiiide). Full disclosure: I've used it exclusively as a solo tent, except on the annual fathers-and-daughters weekend. It will hold a lot of little kids.

-- It's lightweight, despite all the room. Though not superlight. How about a spinnaker-cloth version, MSR? I think you'll find it weighs a bit more than three pounds, by the way.

-- It's well made. There are no shortcuts evident.

-- It's got a nice, wide "front porch."

Some downsides:

-- It uses a lot of guylines and stakes.

-- Those guylines span out all over the place, like spider legs. Watch your step.

-- The stuff sack is an odd shape. This is an odd complaint, I know, and a very minor one. But the stuff sack never fits quite right in my pack, or with my system of packing. It may be perfect for other packs or for other backpackers, but I usually transfer it to another stuff sack, which, unfortunately, doesn't pack everything down as nicely.

Bottom line: Great tent.

1:07 a.m. on April 25, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

That's funny--the odd shape of the stuff sack was the first thing I noticed.

I'm wondering what set of poles you use with yours...I've got Komperdell poles, which I believe extend as far as this tent requires. I read somewhere that if the poles don't allow extension to 55", the door goes a bit slack, and is a pain to close. Any experience with this?

11:12 p.m. on May 8, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Nobody has had this? Everyone's got a taut door every time?

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply