Dr Bronner's soap

7:21 p.m. on May 13, 2008 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Just wondering, does Dr Bronner's soap also work as toothpaste? Andy Skurka counted soap and toothpaste as one weight on one of his gear lists. Also, I had read that biodegradable soap works as toothpaste. But this seems somehow unbelievable. Can anyone clear this up? Thanx.

8:55 p.m. on May 13, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

I've read that you CAN use Dr. Bronner's as toothpaste, if you need to. I've read that it's not the tasteiest option, but it does work, and will clean your teeth better than a brush alone. The peppermint variety probably tastes the best. You'll only need one drop, or you'll be spitting suds for an hour...

9:27 p.m. on May 13, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I have used it for soap and shampoo-the peppermint variety, but it really doesn't taste all that good. I think one of those sample sized toothpaste tubes or maybe tooth powder would be better tasting than Dr. Bronner's. Btw, Trader Joe's has their own version of it-pretty much the same stuff, just cheaper.

12:18 a.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,421 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Bronner's--or castille soap--will not hurt anything on or in the body...but that does not account for taste :( If you do not want the smell of toothpaste lurking on your lips while out in the woods, you can try on old technique. Use baking SODA (not powder!). Yes, it has a heavy salty taste, but it leaves no odor, and it does an effective job scrubbing the ivories while you're out. Baking soda helps neutralize odors too, so it leaves your breath clean. Tent buddies appreciate a little hygiene, ya know! Heck, if you take enough, you can dose your boots, so your boots don't get "trail breath" :)

1:33 p.m. on May 25, 2008 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I use the peppermint variety in lieu of toothpaste. The taste is tolerable. Pillowthread has it right...one drop is all you need.

10:02 a.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Try Tom's from Maine. tomsofmaine.com

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply