lightweight peak bagger pack

12:30 a.m. on May 24, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm functioning as the pack mule for multi-day family backpacking trips. I'd like to find a medium sized daypack that I can pack inside a larger backpack and use for small jaunts. I need something to carry a lunch, a few snacks, 3 jackets, and a few other items. I'll be packing my own water, but not for everyone. My old faithful day pack is just too bulky and heavy to stuff in the big backpack with the tent, sleeping bag and other gear.

Do any of you have suggestions for something that is lightweight and can compress in to a small space, yet be worth using for 6 to 8 hour day trips up a peak and back?

8:36 p.m. on May 24, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Hey, Don't know if this will work for you or not, but I have a Kelty Coyote pack and the top section detaches to become a decent size fanny pack. I have found it very useful in conjunction with a camelback for hikes away from the main camp. Just an idea, don't know if it would be big enough for your needs. It's great that you are out with your family, those are some of my fondest memories.
Have fun Saltsman

1:15 a.m. on May 25, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I have the next-to-last version of the Black Diamond Bullet (available at mec.ca) and it is very well designed as a multi-purpose day pack: 16L capacity with main pocket, 2L hydration pocket, deceptively large exterior pocket, low profile, waterproof, abrasion-resistant (meant to be a climbing pack), huge haul loop, wide and comfortable straps, key clip, zipper pulls that can be locked together, and an adjustable sternum strap, all for $35.00 CDN. (Only thing to beware of is the "detachable waist belt" is detachable only if you cut it off - it is sewn in to the pack body.) Smallish, but holds a lot of gear and of excellent quality!

11:19 a.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I have a coyote too, and the top pack is great, only thing is, I don't know how comfortable it would be after 6 hrs as it has no strap padding, it depends on how much stuff or weight you need to carry though...

1:36 p.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

go lite has some ultralight backpacking bags that's probably be close to ideal for what you want - they don't weigh much and they pack really small.
Years ago I had a large stuffsack that had provisions (eyelets) for mounting generic shoulder straps - I used it as a bear bag and daypack for years (until a bear figured out how to make off with it).
Another option would be to have a junior member of the troupe carry YOUR daypack as THEIR backpack (not sure of the ages/sizes of those whom you're playing pack mule for) - that way you wouldn't be lugging an "extra" pack.

11:23 p.m. on June 1, 2008 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Ditto on the golite frameless packs or patagonia: http://www.dealsonbags.info/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=9676&category_id=5&manufacturer_id=56&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

You can easily lash the packs to the outside of your regular pack and add a pocket or two at the same time.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply