Hubba or Seedhouse?

6:28 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I have been doing a lot of research on light solo backpacking tents, and have narrowed it down to the MSR Hubba and the Seedhouse SL 1.
Both are freestanding and have an msrp of $250 (I plan on paying less... but I don't need help with that)
a little more info, I am 6'4(my biggest concern), skinny, and 6 oz extra is not a big deal
I am most concerned with comfort, the Hubba's extra height, larger vestibule and vertical sides vs. the seedhouse's extra length and width

My question is, Which one do I get? (which one would be more comfortable for a tall person?)

Any help is appreciated, if you have any experience with either tent (however minimal) please comment

6:51 a.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

SL1 is lighter than the Hubba, so if you're looking for lightness, there is youre answer.
On the other hand, the Hubba can held rain and snow better then the Seedhouse.
so its depend on the question: what will be the conditiones you'll encounter while hiking...

10:12 a.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

fairly mild summer conditions for the most part, but another thing that bugs me about the SL 1 is that after reading a bunch of reviews, I hear that, though it is freestanding, it requires a lot of stakes to stake the fly away from the main tent body (to increase ventilation/decrease condensation)

11:03 p.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

The SL1 does require stakes, but it is functionally almost a 1/2 lighter and packs down smaller because of the pole structure. I had an SL1 and used it extensively in the Rockies in a lot of snow and it handled it like a champ. In fact, its structure is ideal for wind performance. The Hubba is a windwall - a brick. But that is what you get with the great head room.

How wide are you? The Hubba is very, very narrow, and that is what pushed me away from it.

12:12 a.m. on May 29, 2008 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I am fairly narrow, 6'4 160, I am leaning toward the SL1 slightly but am struggling between headroom and vertical walls, and weight (I am also put off by the Hubba's seemingly stupid double vestibule, single door design)(but I will also be hiking with two people in SL1s)
I think I really need to go get in one of each

7:35 a.m. on May 29, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Maybe you're consider buy one of them, and if it preform badly, you can always return it to the shop and replace it with the other one...

10:10 a.m. on May 29, 2008 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

yeah, ill figure something out, thx

11:13 a.m. on May 29, 2008 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Dash, it is always a tradeoff! I mostly use my shelter for sleeping and I move around when I sleep, so the additional width is important. While not as tall as you, I am just over 6 foot but am more concerned with length than height - even with a 40 inch ceiling, changing a shirt is a bit of a contortionist event. We know both will perform well within their limitations so it really will come down to personal preference. I agree that ordering both is a great idea and then you will only incur an additional $20 in return shipping but you will be able to make the right choice. On a side note, with the SL1, when you set it up in the house (as you might return it), make sure to use some chair legs as 'pegs' to see the full amount of space in the tent. Good luck.

6:30 p.m. on May 29, 2008 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

thanks... I think ill be able to find stores that have one or the other set up... and then order whichever

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply