multifuel primus stoves: gravity or MF

7:45 a.m. on June 3, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Im trying to understand the difference between the Primus Gravity II MF and the Primus Multifuel EX.
The price is almost the same and both use LP gas and white gas as well.
I want to buy one of those, but I dont know the qualities and drawbacks of each one,for a reasonable comparison.
HELP...

11:47 a.m. on June 3, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

The Gravity is the lightweight version and the Multifuel EX is the "expedition" version. Depends on whether you need the durability of the expedition version. Both versions use "white gas", kerosene, and compressed butane mixes.

They do not use LP gas (liquified petroleum). They use the standard butane mixes in the canisters with the industry standard threaded connector. These are the canisters you can buy in many places in the US, Canada, EU, Australia, etc (but often not in a lot of other places, like many Latin American countries and many African countries). They contain butane or isobutane as the primary constituent (70-80%), often mixed with propane, sometimes all 3 together. LP refers to propane without the lighter gases, and requires a much heavier container, since the pressure has to be a lot higher.

2:01 p.m. on June 3, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

If you type in "Primus" in the search box, you will find reviews, including the manufacturer's description, as well as several user reviews for each of these stoves. Look down the list of Primus stoves to find them.

If you haven't done so already, you can also see a video of the Omnifuel stove on the Primus website http://www.primus.se.

If you are going to the site for the first time, be aware the website is not very user friendly. Go to the bottom of the home page to select English (unless you read Swedish). Click on the "Outdoor" button above the picture, then the "stoves" button under the picture to get the product list. Click on the model you want to see, then when the stove info pops up under the picture, scroll down to the link, then click to get the full page to open up.

I haven't seen either one of these stoves in person-no one near me carries them, including REI, which does carry the ETA Power models.

2:16 p.m. on June 3, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Wow, I was wrong about the LP gas. Ofcourse I ment Prophen- Buthan mixture.
Im aware to the fact the Gravity is lighter but is that it?
about Primus, Tom, I did seen the video regarding the Omnifuel and EtaPower.
both are expensive to much for what they prefer, to my view.
I heard good thinks about the Multifuel, but if the gravity really give the same quality as the muktifuel, and is lighter and give a nice gas stove like flame, it is something I want. the reviews about the gravity isnt that good regarding the flame,so Im confuse about what to pick up.
thanks for the help guys

2:26 p.m. on June 3, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Bill said:

Quote:

They do not use LP gas (liquified petroleum). They use the standard butane mixes in the canisters with the industry standard threaded connector.

This is correct. Most mixes contain 20-25 percent propane and the remainer butane and/or isobutane.

However, Primus confusingly and incorrectly refers to the standard butane mixes as "LP gas" in their literature, packaging, and web site.

Primus's PowerGas mixture is about 25% propane, yet they misleadingly call it "LP": http://www.primus.se/Primus/Products/product_sheet.asp?ItemId=38052

4:39 a.m. on June 4, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I guess thats what made me exchange the Propane-Butanegas mixture with the LP gas...thanks for the correction Dave.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply