Crazy Creek Hexalite Chair

4:27 p.m. on June 25, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Any input about this chair for backpacking? I have read only a couple of reviews one saying it was great and the other saying that the 'stays' punched through the webbing on the first use.

Thanks

6:38 p.m. on June 25, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

hey tshove, You know what they say about opinions right? HA
Personally I have found that I can do without a chair just fine, just find a place to prop your sleeping pad/pack, and it becomes a chair. A chair was one of the things that I tried and then gave up on, just something else to carry, take up valuable space, and slow me down!

8:15 p.m. on June 25, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

You need a sleeping pad for backpacking, right? Thermarest (Cascade Designs) and some other companies make sleeves that you can put your pad into, with straps and in some cases short rods for stays. These make a very comfortable chair (at least as comfortable as the Crazy Creek - though we have 4 Crazy Creeks between Barb and me) and add less than a pound to your pack. I think Thermarest used to call this a "Therma-Restr". We have 2 of the sleeves, one Thermarest label, and the other some other brand that no longer has its label. They come in 20 and 22 inch wide, 3/4 and full length. We have the 3/4 and just fold over the end of the pad when we use a full-length "Blue Foam" pad in it. Campmor has (or used to have) these in their catalog.

I do like the genuine Crazy Creeks, but they don't add as much insulation as the Blue Foam ($10 at WalMart) for the second pad for winter camping or on high mountains. Something like this is sure nice when sitting out storms at 17,000 ft on Denali.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply