Jacket selections for Nepal

7:39 a.m. on July 24, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am going to Nepal in a few months and I am just putting together a jacket list. I have been thinking of getting a soft shell, hard shell set of jackets for the hiking and a down jacket to keep warm at night. I think I have narrowed the soft shell down to either a Marmot Driclime Catalyst or Arc'teryx hercules hoody. I am having issues with deciding on a hard shell as I am not sure whether I just need moisture protection or if i should get a jacket to handle the cold as well. I am also undecided on the down jacket as reviews seem all over the place on different options.. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do?

7:01 a.m. on August 5, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I dont have expirience with down jackets, but when I was in Nepal, in April 1996, I hired a gortex jacket and pants, and a fleece jacket and pants. I also had an old sweater as a night shirt and for stops when cold.
I think that a base layer, a microfleece and a hard shell will be enaugh. for the night I picked up a monkeyman fleece(mountain hardwear fleece made of polartec thermal pro fabric).
you can buy a down jacket instead (it compressed better and keep you worm better, but becarefull not do wet the feathers...). powerstretch gloves and fleece hat is important (better one is with DWR finish). worm socks and gore tex boots (they are many rivers in Nepal and snow) should be in yoyre list and I think that gaiters will be usefull.
In the mountains, people go to sleep early and wake up early, so in the most cold times of the night, you will be in youre sleeping bag ( 20 degrees sleeping bag is okay. you can alwaise ask for blankets if its cold) sleeping.

I think that softshell is a problem. seperate it to a hard shell and a microfleece will give you more degrees of freedom (cold without rain and wind-microfleece, rain\snow-hard shell, wind- hardshell, and so on).

it is advisable to hike in Nepal in October-November and March-May. the winter is hard while the snow set in the mountain passes, while summer time is wet from the monsoon rain, and the trails become horrribly muddy.

I enjoyed Nepal very much! enjoy!

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply